Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? something chewing tops off Buddha Belly

Posted by mimulus z 10/24 SoCal (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 2:33

Hello everyone, Something is chewing thru the stems of my Buddha Belly bamboo. At first it was just one culm, chewed almost all the way through, about 8 feet off the ground. Then it was two, now it's been about 20. The culm size ranges from less than 1/2" to almost 1" wide where they're chewed through and it's always from about 6-8' above the ground (tallest culms are about 20'). Looks like gnawing teeth - squirrel?, rat? I live near some hills and also have possums, racoons and fox but I think all these would be too heavy to climb the culms without breaking them. There is no access to the culms at this height without climbing them or flying.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Wondering if something has developed a taste for the stuff inside the culm or if we have some new type of insect?????? It's wiping out this clump and I'm worried it will move on to my other bamboos. HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? something chewing tops off Buddha Belly

It's probably squirrels. They're normally not a problem until they get a taste of bamboo and decide they like it. I wonder if you could spray some solution of soap and other nasty-tasting stuff on it to discourage them?

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 15:09

It could be squirrels, but I'm skeptical...normally they only chew off the shoots that are just coming up. When the bamboo get more than 1-1/2' to 2' tall, the culms harden off and they lose interest. Is there any possibility that it's deer looking for something to chew on this time of year?

o

Kudzu -- I remember a poster on bambooweb talking about the squirrels in his yard climbing new culms to eat the tender tips. I agree it's unusual, but it's not unprecedented.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 14:35

alan-
Possibly...but the original poster seems to be suggesting that the damage occurs at a specific height and that this is true regardless of how tall the culm is. Squirrels are attracted to the tender, sugar-containing, new shoots when they are just a few inches high and get much less interested as the tips elongate and harden off. I'm just not convinced that a squirrel is chewing through the side of a 15' culm halfway up...it's not that tasty.

o

I've got the exact same problem. I have a culm of Buddha Belly Bamboo that's been growing and fine for many years now, and now suddenly the tops and branches are being chewed off. Today one branch came off that's almost 1" diam. I fear whatever it is will destroy the whole culm. I thought of skunk, because I've seen a skunk in the yard in the afternoon and evening. It may be building a nest under the chicken coop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here