Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboo shoots

Posted by guyfrom505 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 24, 07 at 2:40

When will bamboo start to shoot? Does it depend on soil temp, air temp, sunlight? A combination? I am in Albuquerque, borderline 6/7. I have p. nigra and p. aurea. Both did very well theis winter with very minimal leaf damage. A few dry leaves not much though. Tis is my first winter with bamboo so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboo shoots

Yes, it depends greatly on weather conditions. The soil must reach a certain temperature before shooting goes in ernest. P Nigra as a late shooter, May in the Pacific Northwest. Aurea likely sooner.

o

I'm in the north, my bamboo (which I though was P Nigra henon but the culms are turning yellow in the sun) starts shooting around the end of May.

o

mersiepoo - henon will turn yellowish in the sun, it is only the older culms that turn to the grayish color you may have been expecting, i've had it for 5 years and it frequently gets nipped back by cold so i have never had any culms that were able to ripen, they start out green and fade to a golden/olive color - i would not let that single factor convince you that yours is not henon. the shoots of the nigra forms are pretty distinct and easy to veryify the id

o

Hi Inversa!

Hmm, that is very interesting! I'll have to take a picture of my bamboo later on and post it. Thanks! I thought they gave me the wrong 'boo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here