Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curromastini

Bamboo for Greenhouse Aviary

curromastini
16 years ago

Hi everyone does anyone have bamboo for sale ( even bare roots) that would reach from 8 to 14 feet. They are for conservation of different species of birds, and provide a comfort level for them. The Aviary is in a heated greenhouse. I'll try and post some pics

{{gwi:402019}}{{gwi:402021}}

my e-mail is Curromastini@aol.com

Comments (11)

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

How dense does the growth need to be?

Kt

• tropicallvr
    16 years ago

Sounds like a smaller tropical type would work for the year round heat you have in the greenhouse.

• curromastini
    Original Author
    16 years ago

IM not specific on the density requirements. The Currasows are from South America,in the rain forest and they like it Dense. Thats why the male has a Yellow knob to blend in as an orchid in the canopy. The cranes are full wing and fly across the whole aviary so they would need light density.
    I would prefer to buy Rhizome's for shipping. My average Temperature in the greenhouse is 60 in the winter( using forced hot air furnace)oil heat , and the summer goes off the scale ! so I have the side curtains open and front and rear doors open, and fans going.
    Thanks in Advance
    Peter

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

How much area do you want the bamboo to cover?

Kt

• curromastini
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How much area do you want the bamboo to cover?
    One specific area would be by the side of the water fall which is where the Currasows Breed. It would be
    5' x 5'. It was interesting Last year I had some Hybrid Brugmansi's Planted Under there nest box, and when the Bloomed in early Sept to October it set off the Currasows to start breeding. I was able to get one baby which I donated to Yale University Orthinoloy Dept.I will post a pick of the baby in the nest box. The Brugs are poisonus and the Currasows wont eat them. But when I introduced the cranes, they started eating the leaves so I pulled out the plants.The school wanted to hand rear the hatchling But she died after about a month. :({{gwi:402023}}

• mikemcg
    16 years ago

Curromastini,

You might want to try one of the smaller Bambusa multiplex varieties such as 'Golden Goddess'. These are clumping bamboos. If you want it to grow faster then try one of the larger multiplex varieties but keep it in a pot so you can occassionaly tip it over and trim it to the height you want if it gets too big. Once an individual culm has been topped it will not grow any higher but any new shoots will have to topped if they get too big.

You may want to try Burt Associates Bamboo in Westford MA. My son has sent me bamboo from them and it arrived in TX in good shape. Depending on where you are in NH they may even be a drivable distance.

Mike near Brenham TX

Here is a link that might be useful: Burt bamboo

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

Peter, love your birds. Joined gbwf bird forums and have posted a few questions.

Thanks!
    Terry

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

I agree with Mike, Bambusa multiplex 'Golden Goddess' would be one of the best for your requirements.

Others might need trimming, as he mentioned, and there are even some smaller varieties that might be worth considering also.

Good Luck

Kt

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

I wonder if Sasa palmata, which grows to be about 5 feet to 7 feet tall, might provide some good tropical low cover for your birds?

I plan on buying some for ground cover for pheasants. I am told that it is pretty aggressive in spreading.

It has large leaves and looks very tropical.

Here is a link that might be useful: price list

• curromastini
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Everyone for your input.Looks like I will be trying'Golden Goddess' Westford is driving distance :)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Look for Chusquea coronalis. It's exquisite! I'd definitely try to get that one over any other unless the eastern climate (outdoor conditions will still have an influence, even though we're talking about a greenhouse) wouldn't suit it.

Possibly the most beautiful bamboo in cultivation

--American Bamboo Society Species Source List

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS Species List - C

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations