Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobdamit

Bamboo Screen

bobdamit
17 years ago

Along a 100Â strip I need a bamboo that will grow to 20Â or higher to screen both line of sight and noise. This is along the backside of a 6Â fence so widely spaced culms are not a problem as long as the leaves form a dense barrier from 6Â and up. Clumping will serve me best in the long run but IÂm attracted by the rapid growth of the running varieties. IÂve only recently begun my research and am open to any and all recommendations at this point. I really like the look of Black Bamboo, but Â

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments (6)

• cmontross
    17 years ago

There are really countless numbers of species to choose from. Runners are definitely able to fill the gap much quicker, but require work to control in the long run. Consider mixing varieties along the length to add to their beauty. Black is definitely my favorite, but there is so many to choose from.Henon, red marginated, yellow groove, viridis, etc,etc.
    Chris

• bamboologic
    17 years ago

I too am drawn to the forested look of leptomorph (running) bamboo, but unless you're fully aware of the maintenance issue (barrier containment and checks, or rhizome cutting) you might be best with clumping. Since you want the bamboo to for visual screening AND screening out sound, I suggest one of the Bambusa multiplex bamboos that has a weeping growth habit and produces a really dense canopy, such as the following varieties: green hedge, ventricosa tuldoides "kimmei" (lovely variegated culms), or buddha's belly. All of these will produce large clumps that will eventually meet and will produce a really dense canopy for screening. Also keep in mind that, depending on your budget, you can always install more plants closer together, and then thin the older culms to create a similar look to running bamboo. Sometime I thin enough culms from my clumps so that it looks like it has a leptomorph or caepitose [sp?] growth habit. And if you learn how to divide them carefully enough, you can transplant the culms and rhizomes to fill in empty spots. Some people just don't like the weeping habit of the multiplex varieties I referred to. Too sprawling, not erect enough. If so, then consider Bambusa malingensis, or B. textilis or B. multiplex 'Alphonse Karr' (yellow variegated culms). HTH, Jayne

• bobdamit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I believe the field has been narrowed to the Bambusa Multiplex types known as "Green Hedge" & "Alphonso Karr". From what I've read the only difference is the more attractive culms of the Alphonso Karr. So...the issue now becomes availability. If anyone knows of any sources within a few hours drive from Dallas please let me know. Ideally a little "backyard" nursery would probably provide the best bang for the buck.

Thanks again

• bobdamit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh yeah, and another thing...if anyone knows of a bamboo with characteristics similar B. Multiplex "Green Hedge", but with a greater cold tolerance, please drop me a line. My books show "Hedge" to tolerate no less than 12 degrees (fahrenheit) and Dallas temps have dipped to 10 degrees or below only 4 times in the last 108 years (1899, 1943, 1949 & 1989) but better safe than sorry.

Bob

• enough_water_already
    17 years ago

per bamboologic above, it looks like "green hedge" is kind of droopy, whereas "A. Karr" stays erect.

Do the "A. Karr" culms really look better? They were kind of diseased looking in some pictures I saw, but maybe that was just the photography or a sub-par specimen.

there are quite a few varieties listed at "tropicalbamboo.com" - might be worth a look.

• davissue_zone9
    17 years ago

Fort Worth has a magnificent Japanese garden that must have bamboo in it. Why don't you give them a call and see what species they recommend, since they should have an identical climate to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Garden in Fort Worth