Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo pest

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 9, 09 at 9:33

I have two clumps of Fargesia robusta that have some sort of mealy bug, scale or other homopteran insect pest. They form a thick white waxy coating and are reddish when I squish them. I noticed just a few on one plant last year but ants were tending them and they are now all over both plants, probably thanks to the ants. I really, really hate to use pesticides in my garden; is there any hope of effective treatment that doesn't use pesticides, otherwise something with low toxicity?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo pest

I don't know what it is that you have but, I think it's aphids cause they secrete a sugary substance and I think that's what killed my phyllostachys nigra, the sugar substance attracts the ants and I could not get rid of it. The plant lost most of it's leaves and I thought it was going to make a comeback. Some of the leaves came back but it later died no shoots ever from this plant. I had the plant for two years, I think it had this when I bought it but not sure I was a newbie then.

o

I did a bit of research and think what I have is a kind of wax scale. Still trying to figure out what species, and how to control

o

Scale can be difficult to eliminate. Here's some info I found. Of course if your scale is a different species, this may not apply. With any scale, hit the crawlers.

Here is a link that might be useful: scale

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 14:44

As mentioned at the last link provided if you aren't going to watch for the crawlers and spray those then you are left with hand picking the adults and crushing them.

o

I took another look and I'm still not entirely certain what it is. It might be a kind of mealy bug but if so it produces a heavy waxy coating. That might just be their winter protection. I hope this didn't come from a nearby Miscanthus, which had a serious mealy bug problem, to the point that I finally just cut it down and kept cutting it until it died (too much trouble to dig it out!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here