Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verdant_lady

Boo questions from a newbie

verdant_lady
15 years ago

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have some bamboo questions. Hopefully you nice folks will be willing to help me. I have never grown bamboo but always admired it. My husband and I bought our first house a couple of years ago so now I can actually have some boo of my own.

I recently noticed a home in town with a large, uncontrolled bamboo grove that is right up against the house. I have no idea what species it is, but it is a runner and it obviously does very well in my area. My plans are to simply knock on their door and ask nicely if I can dig some up.

I am an active gardener so I should be able to keep up with the necessary maintenance a running bamboo requires to keep it polite.

My soil is heavy clay. I normally donÂt fight it. I just plant things that like it that way. The location where IÂd like to put the bamboo is in full sun. The ground is hard during the summer and waterlogged during the winter. For the boo I plan to make a foot high mound or possibly a raised bed with lots of organic matter in the soil. I will water it well in the summer. Does this sound feasible?

If I do get permission to dig some boo can I saw off the above ground culm and just plant the rhizomes bare root? The boo is about 15 to 20 feet tall and it would be a major job to transport it whole. I know that February is a good time to transplant other types of plants because they are dormant, but what about bamboo? IÂm in Zone 8, north of Dallas.

Any advice you would share would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Verdant

Comments (2)