Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karateka_gw

How do I plant and Grow Bamboo from seeds?

karateka
17 years ago

I just got 300 MOSO bamboo seeds from Germany. Its all tiny and dry. Please tell me STEP BY STEP instruction on how to grow them? Do I just poke a hole and plant them on wherever on my back yard? or Do I need to nature them indoor until it grows to a certain point then replant them out side ground? Why in Wild, no one does it for them, but it seems to take care of all the planting and growing process on their own?

Comments (7)

• lkz5ia
    17 years ago

plant them indoors in pots. In the wild, a grove produces millions of seed when the time comes so that a few can survive.

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

karateka-
    Please don't order any more seeds from outside the country. It's a violation of Federal Agriculture regulations to import them without a permit and a one year quarantine. Although the risk is small, you could be importing a virus or disease that will infect other bamboo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quarantine

• Scott Wallace
    17 years ago

I put up a step by step and have pics that you should find very useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Seed Germination

• User
    17 years ago

First soak your seeds at least a day in warm water.
    Then soak paper towel and place in bottom of container.
    Then part wet soaked seeds onto paper towel.
    Place Saran wrap over entire container.
    Place in warm spot (light not necessary-they don't have leaves yet)
    When they sprout and get to be about a half inch to an inch long, put them in potting soil container and plce saran wrap back on until they get their leaves.(they like humidity)
    WHen they have leaves, you can leave Saran wrap off, but don't let them totally dry out. Buy a spray bottle at Walmart and lightly spray them every other day to keep moist. Put them in sun now, they have leaves.
    Mosso is difficult to grow. They are very pickey.
    Check out my Buddah Belly babies that I planted on Dec. 25 on wet paper towel at link below.
    They are bigger now, they grew since I took that pic.
    Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:402210}}

• waynoedm
    17 years ago

I brought in a batch of 300 moso seeds last year. I have detailed my expermentation with germination on my website trying various recommended techniques, including a table with the variables. You may find it a good read. Check previous entries to read the entire experiment.

http://www.hardyoutdoorexotics.com/?cat=11

To make things easier for you, I germinated them directly in soil.

I had a 75% germination rate by soaking the seeds in a 10% saltwater solution for 10 minutes, and rinsing off with water before sowing.

67% germination rate with a batch that had an overnight soak in a 20-20-20 solution.

And 67% germination rate with a batch that had a soak in a 10-52-10 solution.

Those two 67% germination rates were ranked in the top 3 for breaking through the soil the quickest at 21 days. A water soak also broke through at 21 days but only netted me a 58% germination rate.

For those that recommend a brief refridgeration for these seeds, germination was delayed, and the success wasn't that great.

Here is a link that might be useful: My exotic plants blog

• waynoedm
    17 years ago

I have recently germinated some Fargesia Nitida, and Bambusa Arundinacea. I put them in a 10-20% coarse sand (not play sand) and potting soil mixture. Kept moist at around 30 degrees celcius. Germination was rather quick in less than 2 weeks.

I also have some Phyllostachys Heteroclada, Phyllostachys Pubescens, and Dendrocalamus Membranaceus put in at the same time. I think the Dendrocalamus Membranaceus is starting to go. I think I can see some taproot activity going on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Details of the germination of several bamboo species

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure