Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abnormalsanon

Bamboo in the blizzard--help!

abnormalsanon
14 years ago

We're getting hit with the worst of the blizzard right now. My poor yellow groove bamboo has already been through a lot of winter weather, but it's doing well. These plants are about 12 feet tall and are already buried in 3-4 feet of snow.

When I woke up this morning, the bamboo was bent down to the ground from the weight of the snow/ice. I would just leave it and shake it off later (it bounces back nicely), but it's so tall, it was bent out onto the sidewalk! I don't want people walking on the tops of the plants, so I decided to venture out into the blizzard and tie it to the front of my house using the only thing I had--fishing line. I strung it through the windows and tied it around all of the canes as one big group, not to individual canes. It's working, but I'm worried that with the wind blowing so hard, the fishing line could rub into the canes and injure the plant. Any advice? Would it be better to just let the plants bend? I'm attaching a pic to give you an idea of how I tied it and the size/weight of the plants with all that snow on them.

{{gwi:402235}}

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Like black bamboo, that one is quite a bender. Sounds like it needs to be moved to another spot. As with other bamboos (and many other broad-leaved evergreens) a location out of wind also produces a happier plant.

• boomantoo
    14 years ago

abnormalsanon In the future try not to shake the snow and ice off the plants, believe it or not the snow and ice is protecting them. When you shake them leaves and branches will break off forever damaging the plants. This happens to my yellow groove every year, and every year when the snow and ice melts it stands straight back up with little to no damage. Trust me this species is very hardy -15 degrees f. The snow and ice actually protects the leaves from desication from cold winter winds. I've been growing it and many others for about 10 years. Thanks Jeff

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

The problem was it was blocking the sidewalk.

• alan_l
    14 years ago

Although I haven't tested it, I'd really be worried about the fishing line cutting into the culms, especially if the culms are less than a year old. If you had nothing else to use, I would put something between the culms and the line... maybe a cloth or cardboard.

Then again, it may not be a problem. Will you let us know how it worked and if there was any damage?

• sheila512
    14 years ago

I have at least 50% of my bamboo curtain broken in the middle from the blizzard. I am sick about it. I had it all along my back yard. What to do? I will need to get help to clean it up...can I make a clean cut below the break and hope it will continue to grow?

• alan_l
    14 years ago

The broken/cut canes won't get any taller, but you should have plenty of new shoots that will be tall enough to hide the pruned culms. If it were me I'd cut them as you said (clean cut below the break) remembering that the internode that is cut will die back to the node (joint) below it. Then I'd wait until the new shoots harden and leaf out, then see how it looks. If the older cut culms look weird, I'd probably remove some of them.

• abnormalsanon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

An update: the bamboo survived 3 blizzards with barely a scratch! It was totally exposed to the wind/snow, and the only difference is that there's some leaf burn on top. I gave up on the fishing line after a few hours--I was too worried it would damage the culms, even with something soft placed in between.

However, the winter weather made me realize that these plants are just too big and tall for the space. I plan to move them to large raised planters in the backyard and will plant something more appropriate (a shorter, clumping variety probably) in this space. Any ideas? Whatever I plant there will get full sun and wind.

• alan_l
    14 years ago

Did the fishing line cut into the culms at all?

Sponsored