Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Alphonse Karr?

Posted by fyton2v (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 13:22

I picked these up from a disorganized nursery a a little while ago and I'd really like to sleep comfortably at night knowing that this is clumping bamboo. If I chose incorrectly and this species runs it'll be a nightmare. The person at the nursery told me it was Alphonse Karr, but he thought AK was a running species... where as my research told me it clumps. So... disorganized nursery + uniformed worker = a worried new bamboo owner.
Would you mind looking at the photos below of 2 separate plants and give me your opinion on species?

Plant 1: I split it so it looks thin and scraggly

20120226_093617

20120226_093625

Plant 2:

20120226_093514

20120226_093538

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Alphonse Karr?

Yes, Al Karr is a clumper and from those pics it looks like that is what you have...Bambusa multiplex 'Alphonse Karr'.

Kt

o

I agree with Kentuck. The only question is: What's your Zone? Alphonse Karr is only hardy to about 18F, and will get leaf and culm damage at temperatures that are in the mid-20s.

o

Thanks to the both of you! I'm in southern ca... zone 9ish. I had this species in another house and it was pretty healthy year around. After I bought these plants I learned that some running bamboo has that telltale green stripe and it made me wonder if the nursery had their plants wrong. I'm relieved it's AK.

Thanks again.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 3:04

You mean like this one? Notice the similar leaves, branching and broad culm sheaths.

I am growing three clumps of this and would not be surprised if it is actually what you have. Although I may never have seen it produce quite the same fine striping.

Here is a link that might be useful: semiarundinaria yashadake kimmei - Google Search

o

bboy-
I've grown both Alphonse Karr and S. y. 'Kimmei', and I find them to be distinctively different. The Kimmei has only a single, consistent, fairly broad, green stripe, while the Alphonse Karr has highly variable, and multiple green striping. The culms on the Kimmei are straight, while the Alphonse Karr culms sometimes exhibit slight bends. In addition, the branching is different. The Kimmei culms come up pretty uniform in diameter, while the Alphonse Karr will put up more variable diameters in even a single season. Lastly, the Kimmei usually has a distinctively rosy hue on the culms.

I'm satisfied that fyton has Alphonse Karr.

o

Well stated, Kudzu, and I agree. I also grow both and the similarities are few.

More similar looking bamboos to Al Karr, are Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata' and Bambusa pervariabilis 'Viridistriatus', both of which I also grow but these are more rare and grow much larger. They also do not look quite like the pics you have especially when they are small.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here