Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Bamboo and vermin--is it a problem?

User
15 years ago

I watched PBS the other night and saw this program about black rats multiplying to plague proportions when the bamboo flowered every 48 years. I did a search on GW here, and came up with a 2007 thread http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bamboo/msg11103925591.html

It refers to a Vanity Fair article in their Dec 2007 issue.

But what I am interested in learning, before I make a big investment of time, money, and effort, into planting bamboo along one property line is whether or not I will have a problem with vermin in a suburban Alabama setting?

I have plans for a clumping bamboo, moving it off my riverfront lot where in 30 years it created a lovely screen about 25 feet tall but not spread extravagantly.

At this time, I do not have the name of the particular species or variety but can get it in if that makes a difference in the answer.

The biggest corms seem to be between 1 and 2 inches in diameter and grow quite dense. They stood up to the tide surge of Hurricane Katrina, not saving my house, but they did stop the big logs from hitting my neighbors house.

Comments (4)

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

It's not a problem. Bamboo do not cause vermin problems anywhere but in those peculiar circumstances covered in the program. First, this is a problem unique to one Indian bamboo which someone may have somewhere in the U.S., but which the American Bamboo Society lists no sources for. Second, when bamboo flower - a very rare occurrence -- they typically produce tiny seeds that are about the size of grass seeds. It is only this one bamboo (Melocanna baccifera) which produces a large, weird, fig-like seed that is a source of food for the vermin. No other bamboo causes this problem, and I guarantee that this is not the species you have. (The only vermin I've ever had to deal with are squirrels which sometimes like to gnaw on the fresh, sweet shoots in the spring, and destroy that year's shoot production.) There are many things to worry about in the world these days, but this is not one of them. Plant your bamboo and enjoy it.

And, by the way, the stalks of a bamboo are called culms, nor corms.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kudzu, you're the greatest! :)
    Don't know where the "corms" came from, must be a slippance. I have intentions of moving my "culms" from the vacant river lots to our house on higher ground.

Some neighbors claimed the bamboo was not a good plant, but I've always loved the looks of the one I had. At MoccasinLanding, I also had a type which was considered a runner, but since it was on the bayou bank, it had no place to go. The clumping kind with the hefty culm diameters is definitely not invasive, and that is the one I plan to dig and move in a few days. The trees we cut down here were not dense for privacy, but the limbs falling destroyed the huge azaleas screening our house from the road. So the transplanted bamboo will perform a great service along that south property line.

They will get morning and midday sun, with afternoon shade provided by trees across the street. We are, of course, very hot here and generally high humidity, something that one ABS company said was not good for clumping bamboo. However, since I am not buying these bamboo, I think I can afford to test them in the location. As soon as I take a drive to the river, I will post a photo of the bamboo to this thread.

We benefit a lot from the plants selected by the former owner of the property, who owned a nursery here in Mobile. Some of the plants are treasures.

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

Glad to set your mind at ease. And I would love to see any pictures you're able to post. If you're going to transplant a species from your general geographic area, it should do just fine with your climate.

One last question, though: Have you dug bamboo before? It can be a little challenging with both runners and clumpers. In fact the clumpers are sometimes the toughest because they have such a dense, compact root ball. If you're not experienced with digging bamboo, I can send you an email with a few tips about what to expect.

• rickinla
    15 years ago

I live in your area, around Alligator Bayou and Dog River. I just got interested in bamboo last year and am collecting a few varieties. Your clumping bamboo should have no problems except sooty mold from the aphids. The B.Multiplex in town suffered a little leaf damage but if you're in zone b, down close to the bay you shouldn't have any damage. The running varieties are pretty easy to control, if you rhizome prune once or twice a year.