Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seven333

Bamboo flooring

seven333
16 years ago

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I'm considering getting carbonized horizontal bamboo flooring in my foyer, dining room and powder room. We were given a quote of about $11-12 per square foot installed for Shaw brand. Does this seem like a good price? I was always told (and read) that bamboo is less expensive than hardwoods but we are being charged a premium over the gunstock oak our GC included in our quote. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

From what I've seen, bamboo flooring is not hard like other wood floors. It dents easily when something hard is dropped on it.

Check into it before you install it, or install it where there will be no threat from falling objects.

Kt

• allen491
    16 years ago

Bamboo is relatively soft. It is 1180 on the Janka hardness scale. Harder than Pine at 690, softer than White Oak at 1360, Merbau at 1925, Brazilian Cherry at 2350 and Cumaru at 3540.

I have Hevea, Rubber Tree, which is about the same hardness and it dents and scratches rather easily. But, like Bamboo, it looks sharp.

The scale can be found

Here is a link that might be useful: Janka Hardness scalle

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Some people have been happy with it, some not. Seems to be a range of quality and hardness depending on type of finish and manufacturer. This was discussed/debated in some detail a while back, so check out this thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo flooring thread

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Also check out these threads from the Flooring Forum...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo flooring search

• joefalco
    16 years ago

We were looking at bamboo flooring when we purchased our floor. There are different hardness's of bamboo. One we looked at Lumber Liqidators was harder than red oak. It was a Strand Carbonized bamboo, The sample felt like holding a piece of stone. The bamboo flooring that you see the horizontal nodes is softer.

In the end my wife decided against bamboo and he purchased a cabin grade Gunstock oak. We did the job ourselves with some help from my step dad. The job cost about $4500 for us to do ourselves, but the quote we got from Lowes was over $8000.

It was alot of hard work, We had to seal to concrete slab and glue the floor down, but worth it in the end to save so much money.

• ella99
    12 years ago

If anyone is think to install Bamboo flooring �" please do NOT install:
    GOODFELLOW STRAND BAMBOO
    sold by Home Depot and Rona it literally is about as durable as a Bamboo skewer.
    The installer laid the floor and my 20 LB dog sat down and got up and she splintered and cracked the surface through the stain and the terrible finish (her nails are short)

When the Goodfellow rep came out to my home to inspect the flooring he was smug and rude telling me it is performing as it should. When I asked him about 2 other Goodfellow products he said they were GARBAGE.

Seriously - this is a terrible product and the company has the worst customer service in Calgary - AVOID!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz