Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

Please excuse my forgetfulness..

mersiepoo
15 years ago

But I was looking at my bamboo and it seems like they all turned yellow (the leaves) this year. Not gray, as in dead, but all sickly ickly yellow. Even the super hardy mystery boo that I had gotten from a zone 5is garden. I have noticed that last summer with the newer culms that the newer leaves were awfully yellow looking. Could this be because of the soil? We have pretty bad soil up where they are growing, so last fall I put some chicken manure out there, and added some epsom salts as well. I also asked my husband to pee on the grove when he can. :D

So, is my boo hungry, or does everyones boo look yellow like this?

Signed,

Boohoo bamboo fan

Comments (4)

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

When my bamboo look like that it either means seasonal leaf changeout, or that they're not doing well. Bamboo leaves can show various shades of green, depending on the soil and the pH, but yellow - especially in the summer - is not a good sign. I'm assuming you haven't had any soil tests done to know what's deficient...you might consider that. As for your husband peeing by the bamboo...well that's not always helpful. I tried that once many years ago, and killed the plant I was "fertilizing." I'd consider using a slow-release fertilizer, like Osmocote or equivalent, instead. Also, are these bamboo getting enough water during the summer?

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kudzu!

Thank you for the great info, I'll have him stop whizzing on the bamboo. Seeing as all of my bamboo looks pretty darn yellow, I'm thinking maybe they didn't get enough water last summer. Where they are at, it's all pretty dry, and we had a killer drought last year too.
    So, like you said, it's probably the drought. I better make sure to water them if we have another one this year. I thought bamboo was indestructible! :)

Thanks a bunch for the info, I'll nix the pee. ;D

Also, do you know what Ph bamboo likes? I did fertilize them with some chicken poo this fall, but I didn't put loads on, so it's not fertilizer burn. Hmm, maybe I should get my husband to poo on the boo. Nah, that would KILL them for sure!

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

Generally, bamboo can tolerate a wide range of pH, but probably prefer the slightly acid range (6.5-7.0 pH). Many bamboo growers give their plants lots of fertilizer, but I find that once in the spring with a slow release fertilizer is adequate. The most important thing the bamboo need is continuing moisture. It's hard to over-water bamboo; just don't have them in standing water for long periods of time.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll have to start watering them then! That would explain why they all look so yellow, even the super hardy ones! Thanks Kudzu! :)

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm