Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help choosing bamboo for my area

Posted by jerez 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 14:30

Some maps say I am zone 7 or 8, but I believe here close to the water, we are zone 5. We get 35 inches of rainfall a year approx. Much like Seattle, I am northwest of.
Soil is acidic, not well drained, ( I can fix that I guess).
We have sun July and Aug. mostly, can get up into mid 90's. Winters are mild, rarely ever below 20 degrees, but historically some below 0 days.

I need my privacy back, a large tree was taken form neighbors yard, and I need something that will grow as tall as possible,and screen me from neighbors next door and on hill side.

If anyone has any suggestions and where to get this bamboo, I'd much appreciate it..

THanks..
Moso looks interesting, but would it do well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help choosing bamboo for my area

Though we are nearly opposite sides of the country, your rainfall amounts and summer/winter temps sound like mine (Tennessee). We have clay soil here. I have had good luck with Ph. Rubromarginata and Ph. Henon - grow fast and thick. About 20 ft high right now (we've had a couple of drought years or I imagine they'd be a bit bigger). The rubro can take the freak ice storms and cold winter winds too.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 10, 08 at 12:17

Where exactly are you? I grow about 60 different species of bamboo in the Greater Seattle area (Zone 8).

o

Hi Kudzu.., I am in Mukilteo about 3 blocks from Puget Sound. Western Garden says it is zone 5, other sources via zip code say 7 or 8.

Elzbetta, how long has your bamboo been growing to reach 20 feet?

I'd like to hear more. Thanks, Jerez

o

Most of my bamboos are 5 yrs old but the rubro and the henon sent out tall shoots the 3rd year. Considering they started as skinny little 3 ft plantings, I was impressed. There'd be a 10 footer, or higher, shooting up here & there. It wasn't till the 4th year that they started to 'fill in' and start looking more like a mini grove. We don't get a lot of rain and I haven't been fertilizing much. I do put down a lot of pine needle mulch every fall. Our fields are not ideal conditions for most plants but the bamboos seem quite happy to grow in poor conditions.

o

FYI
Sunset uses their own zones so Sunset 5 doesn't mean USDA 5.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here