Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantman71

Taking up Moso and Black

plantman71
11 years ago

Alabama Power Co.'s right-a-way cleaning crew hits again. The other day I heard a noise and looked outside and saw a big tractor with a saw extenion about 20' on my lot. the arm was extended and cuting my trees. They have the right to cut 15' but from the road or by hand. I called the police and they stoped them. The boss of the company that is incharge of right-a-ways came out and talked to me. He said he didn't know why they had gotten off the road. He said they would do the rest of the clearing by hand.
My moso(I think) patch extended into the cut limits, so I have taken up several clumps. I also dug up some root setions.I have cut about 25 large canes. I also took up several black bamboo roots.
I have these for inperson trades if anyone is interested.
I am on the western side of Birmingham. If interested post here then email.

Comments (9)

• littlepepperboy
    11 years ago

I wish i was closer! moso takes a long time to establish here in california.

• RobThomas
    11 years ago

I also wish I were closer. I'll be down that way, but it won't be until June.

• plantman71
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wish you were both closer. Rob, when you come down in June, get back with me. When I cut down each mosa, it puts up small seedlings, which macks a very good starter plant. I should have some good plants by then. I also have other bamboo.
    I think its about the same here in Al. as it is in Ca. on the starting of Mosa. After I planted mine, it took about 3 years for it to start growing.

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

I potted these up last weekend. Moso.

{{gwi:402643}}

Kt

• plantman71
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kt, Thouse plants are looking good. Mine not so much. My canes are about 3 times higher and it has been windy here. They keep being blown over, guess I will have to cut the canes off, didn't want too.
    I see that you have been at Graden Web about when I first started. I was here a long time, then took time off. I got tiired of all the SASE request. I started back last year.
    Tony

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

A lot of my culms blew over here also with the high winds that we've had.

The above pictured transplants would have grown 3 or 4 times taller but the drought stunted them and they were outside of my watered area. It makes for good, easy, and quick transplanting, though.

I potted up two more yesterday along with 3 other bamboos. Taking divsions at this time of the year is easiest, although they can be taken at any time of the year in this area, but with differing results. The plants are just starting to grow so I will be dividing and potting up as many as possible over the next couple of days.

Kt

• plantman71
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I find it easier to divide in Spring, but I dig when I need the plants and they do OK. I have about a hundred(it looks like) switch bamboos to dig and pot. I don't usualy take up my black. I dig root sections and cut in 6 to 8" peices, put in pots and keep wet until they put on new growth. I do the same with moso.
    Tony

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Big rootball and spring for dividing moso.

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

These rootballs were actually pretty small, maybe 7 inches across. This is the size that I usually get when dividing Moso. The most important thing is to disturb the soil as little as possible around the rootball when moving it to a pot or to another location. The bigger the rootball, the better, also because it will take root faster, but sometimes smaller is easier and works just fine.

Kt

Sponsored