Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweetshoot bamboo grove advice

Posted by austinjenny none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 15:54

Hello all,

I live in Austin TX, and have a small grove of p. dulcis (sweet shoot bamboo) on the side of my house. We've had it for about 11 years now, and for a long time, it was thriving. Ever since the horrid drought a couple years ago, though, it's been looking raggedy. New culms grow into healthy bamboo, but a lot of the older shoots have died/are dying. I just noticed that a good portion of the grove seems looks dead at the top--leaves all brown. Maybe they were burned in one of the arctic blasts (although it never got below 22 degrees, and these are cold-hardy bamboo). My question--should I prune out every shoot that looks dead/dying, leaving just the live ones? We do prune the grove faithfully every year, but right now we're left with a thinner grove than usual. If I prune out everything that looks bad, it will be thinner than ever. However, I'm assuming that new culms will repopulate the area eventually, right? It is dry here, but I do water, and we've had good rains this winter. I love this grove, and want to bring it back to its former glory. I'm grateful for any advice!

Thanks,
Jenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweetshoot bamboo grove advice

I would leave it. My b. Vulgaris lost many leafs this winter. I have noticed that many of the branches that lost all leafs are sprouting out right now. In mid spring I would remove the ones that have not sprouted back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here