Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

Here is a picture of my P. Nigra Henon bamboo...

mersiepoo
16 years ago

Most of the time the year old culms get killed, then it comes back again but it's not spreading very fast at all. Any time we get temps 0 or below the tops die down. One year we had a lot of snow cover (like 3 feet) and the temps got below zero, the parts that had snow on them survived and the tops died off where they were exposed. Just FYI. :)

{{gwi:402660}}

Comments (7)

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is another picture of the bamboo (and that smoke is a nasty garbage/plastic/old tire fire they had just gotten started. Ah, I love the country air...(hack hack, cough!).

{{gwi:402661}}

Oh, and here is a picture of our lovely neighbors and their palacial estate, which luckily we only view during the winter. Please note the lovely confederate flag. The 'message' on it is "It ain't comin' down".

{{gwi:402662}}

Here is where Mom, Dad, brother and his brother-son live. It usually looks worse. She even has a rose bush there, the one pine tree they stole from our property had been there but they hit it one year with their lawnmower. Can you even imagine why we would want to obscure the view of them and their lovely place.

{{gwi:402663}}

• chills71
    16 years ago

P. Nigra might not be your best choice. I'm thinking Golden Groove along with 3-4 Sweet Autumn Clematis on a strong trellis (and the clematis will easily handle both the burning plastic and whatever smells might be eminating from that direction.

~Chills

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

P. nuda and P. aureosulcata aka Yellow Groove, and all of their varieties, would be more cold hardy in your area. They should give you a good barrier from your unsightly neighbours 'clean' yard.

The flag doesn't bother me any, as it is a common sight here in the south, although it does bother me when people use it just to anger others.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage, and the flag here stands for the 'South' and NOT for slavery although that is how most perceive it, but hey the Confederacy has been null for almost 150 years...get over it.

Good Luck

Kt

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Also, P. bissetii is a very cold hardy bamboo that would give you another screen from your neighbours.

Oh, and Mersiepoo, I just want to clarify that the "get over it" was meant for your neighbours, not you.

Kt

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually I was going to order yellow bamboo, it's such a nice looking one. :) I have a small plant of the incense bamboo from the other year, so hope that takes off too! :)

LOL, KT, you are funny, I knew what you meant. Our loser neighbors are so stupid, they are from the NORTH (PA, in other words) but they just don't 'get it', you are right. ;)

Yeah, and they did it to make the one township guy mad, because he was black. Mom's trailer has a really tattered American flag that you can barely see in the middle of the picture.

I need plants that EAT THEM, ha ha ha!

The way the wind blows, that nasty smoke usually blows right past our house. I just hope that they get lung cancer before we do.

Here is a picture of my bamboo, and a picture of son/dad and his ugly 'girlfriend' Mom Junior. At least I think she's a girl. Hard to tell. They are both jerks, believe me.

{{gwi:402665}}

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

What is that white thing that looks like a sick goose in the fourth picture?

Kt

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, that's one of their many lawn ornaments that fell over, ha ha! I think it's trying to migrate. :D

Oh, or you talking about the thing on the quad? LOL!

Sponsored