Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recommend everything please for a bamboo screen

Posted by larsalan none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 17:15

I am new to all this bamboo and I'm getting lost in all the variety and technique.
I am wanting to do a landscaping job for a customer where we build a screen out of bamboo.

I've read on how to make a rizome barrier. Now, there are hurdles in this project.
The grade of the yard requires pretty tall bamboo. There is a 7ft fence there now and it's not blocking much. We may want in excess of 20-25ft.
Also, there are some huge old oaks right near where the screen is to be built!
So, do we want to try and make a full screen with a running bamboo? Or try and get some clumping sets to fill in little pockets near the trees?

And where can we get some transplants of whatever species we decide on? I had asked a local landscaping house but they said the only plants they sell will top out at 8ft tall.

Ok thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recommend everything please for a bamboo screen

Where are you? Bloomington, IN?

What is your hardiness zone?

Kt

o

ya bloomington. So we are zone 6a
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/2012_USDA_Plant_Hardiness_Zone_Map_USA.jpg

o

I doubt that you will find a clumping bamboo that will reach 20 feet in your area.

Here is a nursery in Indiana, they may be able to answer your questions better since they are closer to you.

Needmore Bamboo Company
Nashville, IN 47448
812-988-6896
Brad Salmon
www.needmorebamboo.com

"Growing 150+ species in southern Indiana zone 5b/6. Contact me in early spring for availability of custom dug rare/collector species. Visit by appointment only."

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Here.

o

I have clumping bamboo that is 20 feet or better here in St. Louis.

o

Larry, what kind is it, or can you post a pic of it?

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here