Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Goddess cold damage

Posted by suze9 z8b Bastrop Co., Tx (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 18:10

Last fall, I planted several plants for a hedge. The part of Texas I live in doesn't experience that many freezes, and the few we get are rather mild.

Well, wouldn't you know the very year I decide to add some Golden Goddess, we have an unusually harsh winter. First an early freeze -- I was hoping for a little more time for all my fall plantings to "lock in" before that happened. Then, several freezes, including a couple that got close to 20F.

The culms on most of them are still green and feel firm, but the leaves are not -- there is obvious damage. Some are more damaged than others.

Wondering if I should go ahead and cut them back or wait and see what happens. (Pictures available upon request)

And if I cut them back, how long does it take for them to push out new growth (and at what rate)?

These are large plants (purchased in 5 gallon containers).

Grateful for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Goddess cold damage

Suze9
I would leave them and see if the culms re-leaf or branch once its gets consistently warmer, say May; unless of course you want to cut them back.

Mike near Brenham TX

o

Once Golden Goddess is established they are relatively cold hardy. I am in a colder winter zone than you and mine must be able to regularly endure temps down to 20F. in the winter, a few times down to 10F and very rarely down to 0F. Mine look fine despite temps down to about 10F. this year and a few very windy days. (Mine get a lot of rain or snow thoughout the seasons though--which bamboos love.) I would leave the bamboo alone and very shortly they will resprout new leaves (unless the culms died--which I doubt). Being that your bamboos where just planted, they are more sensitive to the environment. Regular watering will help them root in and endure dry periods. (Bamboos are relatively drought tolerant once ESTABLISHED.) Good luck!

o

• Posted by suze9 z8b Bastrop Co., Tx (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 12:47

Thanks for the advice. I will wait and see what it does.

o

• Posted by suze9 z8b Bastrop Co., Tx (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 4:02

I thought I would post a followup to this thread.

The plants are fine. The vast majority of the culms finally pushed out new growth after dropping the old leaves. Slow going, though -- this has been an unseasonably cold and cloudy spring, with a couple of late (near) frosts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here