Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kensabode

Easy potting soil

kensabode
14 years ago

I have some nice large wooden planter boxes made for Bambusa multiplex "Golden Goddess" which is a clumper. Interior capacity of each box is 6.5 cu.ft. I have six boxes. It'll be a nice row of bamboo.

Now trying to learn about potting soil mixes. It's bewildering. Most advice say avoid the common bags sold as potting soil. But my local Home Depot and OSH are most convenient. Anyway, 6 x 6.5 cu.ft. is a hefty chunk of change even if 100% prepackaged is any good.

So I thought to post a question in this forum.

What's an easy but fairly good potting soil that I can maybe purchase partially prepackaged and partially custom mix on my own?

Comments (9)

• daveh_sf
    14 years ago

For that much volume you might want to try American Soil and Stone in Richmond. They have a number of soil blends in bulk which you can either have delivered or pick up there if you have access to a pickup truck. I'd go with a fairly sandy loam potting mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Soil and Stone

• kensabode
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I've actually hauled many cubic yards of their "general landscape" soil for my rear yard. But when I asked about higher-nutrient soil for container plants, they said the same product is their best, and they think it's okay!

I've heard that sandy mix compacts too much for containers.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

I never use anything fancy for my potted bamboo. Some other plants, yes, but not bamboo. If you are worried about nutrients, give your bamboo some cheap lawn fertilizer occasionally.

What I usually do is pickup about 1/2 yard of general purpose topsoil at my local yard materials store, and it costs less than $1.50 a cubic foot in bulk. If you or your friends don't have a small trailer or a pickup, a van works: take out the seats, line it with a piece of visqueen, and shovel it in at the materials yard...which is what I used to do!

• kensabode
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I've gone ahead and purchased the "Organic MultiPurpose" blend from American Soil. It's a bit heavier than I've seen for potting soil, but some other people there today said that THAT is their best. $40.50 for one cubic yard. I used my trailer.

Thanks for the reply on never using anything fancy for bamboo. I've never planted bamboo, and nothing in so many containers. So it's either a huge success or a huge mistake.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

You'll be good, and SF is a great climate for many bamboo. All you need to do is to remember to water them!

• fredgpops
    14 years ago

I get ground up garden fines from my local recycle center. I've had terrific success with potted and unpotted plants. Very high in nitrogen. Cost is 12 bucks a yard. Many waste sites that take wood and garden waste now recycle into great products at low cost. Shd be available in your area. Rgds

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

A friend with a long-established mailorder nursery pots everything in bark and sand, plus slow release fertilizer. When he grows a bamboo, such as the time he raised some Chusquea from seed, it also goes into bark and sand.

Woodland/moist situation plants get more bark, dry climate types more sand.

• sanfranman12
    11 years ago

Hello. I was wondering how your bamboo in planter boxes worked out? I am thinking of doing the same thing and keep getting stuck on what material to use to build the boxes. I'm also curious as to why you used a clumper? Since it is in boxes, my thinking is that you (and I!) don't need to worry about it spreading, and that a clumper might not be the best choice. But I am a newbie, so what do I know?!

Thanks for any advice.

• natalie403
    11 years ago

Hello, I am thinking of doing the same thing and have the same questions as sanfranman12. Any update on your bamboo containers?

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm