Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oldhamii and Golden Goddess Growth Potential?

Posted by newbamboonut 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 19:47

Hello fellow Boo zen masters. Well, not me since I am posing the question. I got tired of watching my Oldhamii live a pot confined life in a greenhouse and window in my home's zone 7, so I moved a few to a rental property in a hotter zone (near Sacramento, CA, zone 9b.) I was curious if anyone had experience growing Oldhamii and Golden Goddess here because I am really curious to know what kind of growth I can expect. The plantings have full sun and irrigated water and presently only have pencil sized 4ft. canes or so. I put them in the ground last week and am hoping for some monster shoots on the Oldhamii in these conditions (wetter winters, and hot 100 degree plus summers.) I have attached a picture of one of the oldhamiis to this message. It is next to the rock in the photo. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oldhamii and Golden Goddess Growth Potential?

Here in 8b Texas, the oldhamii gets over 40 feet in height and took 3 to 4 years to reach that height. That area might be a bit small for an oldhamii but you could keep it thinned out and it would be OK but may not get to it's full height.

Golden Goddess will reach it's full height in the same amount of time and reach a height of about 14 feet here.

Keep us posted on it's growth.

Kt

o
RE: Oldhamii and Golden Goddess Growth Potential?

Thanks Kentuck! I would have guessed that because it's a clumper, the fact that it has 3 feet in every direction to grow would be more than enough. Ideally would it need more than that to develop a root mass strong enough to reach its genetic potential? That and given the fact that it will get a lot of heat, sun, and is in sandy loam makes me think that the growth will be much greater than that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here