Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lookin for tall clumping, full sun

Posted by rgleaves 6b-7a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 20:22

Hi, I'm lookong for suggestions for a tall 20'+ clumping type bamboo that will withstand the winter well here in Nashville, TN. From what I can tell I'm a 6b-7a depending on the particular map.

I have an Eastern Redbud I need to get rid of before it falls and crushes the backyard fence. I like the shade the redbud gives the house, hence the desire for a tall bamboo. I'm thinking a clumping type because I want to keep it in about a 5'x5' space. It will get mostly sun with some afternoon shade when it's small, but once it gets tall it will only get shade in the late, late afternoon.

Thanks a bunch
Robb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lookin for tall clumping, full sun

Unfortunately, in your area, most of the very large clumpers wouldn't survive your Winters. There are some bambusas that might survive in your area, but would get a lot of freeze damage.

However, you need to look into the Fargesias and Chusqueas, the later being the taller and probably most hardy in your area.

Kt

o

Thanks a bunch, from the information I was able to get from different online retailers I was afraid that was going to be the answer.

How difficult would it be to keep one of the cold hardy runners in a 7'x7' area?
My fear is that by the time it got established the larger culms would be outside that area.

o

In your area, at least compared to here, the runners wouldn't spread that fast.

You could either install a barrier, or do some rhizome trimming twice a year, which doesn't take long, and will keep the grove in the confined area. However, a 7' X 7' area is not a lot of space for a runner to reach large size. They need a lot of room to get large.

I am not real familiar with the Chusqueas, but they can tolerate the cold, but not the heat down here. When temps get into the 90's(and over 100F), they tend to die back, but some can tolerate 0F so you need to look into them. Some get well over 20 feet in height. I think you will find one suitable for your area. If I come across any that I think will do well for you, I'll post them.

Good Luck

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here