Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difficult spot

Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 21:13

My mother in law just lost a huge Ash tree in her back-yard. It was declining for a few years, but last year she had it taken out and quickly realized that she no longer has screening from her neighbor.

I have been given full reign when it comes to planting in her double lot (yeah! as my yard is quickly getting filled). the spot I would be planting in has a problem, it floods 2 or so inches deep from now til late April each year. (though the neighbor's yard is much worse, it floods almost a foot deep for the same period.

I am thinking Arundo Donax Variegata. (I know, not a popular plant in this forum, arguably not even a bamboo at all...got it). I'm thinking quick screening, vidually appealing and the ability to stand in water for two-three months a year. I will sink it into pots, with the lips 1 1/2 inches above the soil surface.

Ok, first question, will it survive such conditions? 2nd, will it fulfill the requirements I have for it. 3rd how spreading is this plant in zone 6?

~Chills

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difficult spot

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 15:26

As this is not a bamboo, and is not a plant that is real popular with bamboo nuts, let me suggest that you might have better luck getting a helpful answer by posting in the Ornamental Grasses Forum. A search I did in that forum produced quite a few hits on that type of plant. I also looked at a site called Plantfiles [http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1560/], and they say not to over-water it, so I don't think it will be happy in standing water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search: Donax

o
RE: Difficult spot

Hi Kudzu,

I agree with you and I have gone through with that link and I found a lot of useful information there. Thanks for sharing.

Stella

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here