Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

SURVEY: If you grow bamboo in zone 5, what do you have?

mersiepoo
16 years ago

I'm technically zone 6a, I have a p. nigra (henon) that dies to the ground most of the time and is spreading really slow. I have some unknown bamboo that survives zone 5, and I have a p. atrovaginata that seems to be doing good.

Comments (10)

• cuttlefish
    16 years ago

Right now I've only got a P. bissetii that is getting really leaf-burned out there, and I've finally found some free local stuff from a friend that I can pick up in the spring. I'm not sure yet, but it sounds a lot like P. aureosulcata (yellow groove). Seems to be doing well enough for this other guy (punching holes in the driveway and whatnot) so soon I'll have 2.
    P. rubromarginata and P. nuda are on my want list, but I'll have to be the local guinea pig on those ones I fear. : )

• allen491
    16 years ago

I have a Fargesia murielae. It started as a 1 gal and has been in the ground for 2 summers. Both winters it has been fully covered by snow by the time that the really cold weather arrived. It has not shown any growth as yet.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cuttlefish, I want to get a p. nuda too, they look nice! :) If it's any help, usually if they die to the ground they will come back up the next year, only they won't spread very fast. I am going to take a piece of the henon inside this year and see what color the cane turns, every year they usually die back, and I don't get to see any color change, they stay yellow, instead of that cool gray they are supposed to turn.

Allen, wow I am amazed that you have anything that far north, how tall does it get?

• allen491
    16 years ago

They are supposed to grow up to 12' and have an umbrella shape. I had hoped to get mine to grow as tall as 6' to 8' eventually. When I got it bare root it was 1' tall. 2 summers later it is still 1' tall. Kind of like my holly-- too tough to kill but not tough enough to prosper. You would be surprised what I have been successful in growing, so far.

But it got down to -44*C/-48*F on the outskirts of the city this winter and my success may be coming to an end. I may have to start mulching and protecting them.

• hollenback
    16 years ago

The Bamboos that I am growing or killed in Zone 5 is at: http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Profile

• michigan_bamboo
    16 years ago

I live in Detroit zone 6 by the updated zone map. Here is a list of tall running bamboo that I have grown here and measurements from the fall.

Arundinaria gigantea 13Â Tall

Phyllostachys aureosulcata 27Â tall

Phy. aureosulcata aureosulcata f. Spectabilis 18Â tall

Phy. aureosulcata alata 14Â tall "not mature"

Phy. aureosulcata 'Harbin Inversa' 7Â tall "not mature"

Phy atrovaginata 10Â "not mature"

Phy. bissettii 20Â tall "4 years old"

Phy. nuda 26Â tall

No Phyllostachys nigra species worked well for me in my climate.

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

Yellow groove! It's doing really well. It's taking over the place, which I like. It does have quite a bit of winter burn this year though.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for the info! I'm trying to get some different varieties so that I can have a 'mixed bag' for our road frontage and also obscure the view of our neighbors. I might get a p. nuda or maybe a bisetti, not sure.

Bill, thank you!!! for the link!! :)

• rfgpitt
    16 years ago

mersiepoo,
    I noticed your comment on the color of your henon culms.... Most Phyllostachy culms will fade to yellow when exposed to sun. You need to have a small grove with a little bit of height for the leaves and outside culms to shade the ones on the inside.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Celtic, you might want to start your own thread so more people will see your request. Unfortunately my little 'boo grove is still too small to harvest any decent canes. You might want to put an ad in craigslist.com for someone local to your area?

Rfgpitt, hmm, I didn't know that about them. :) Hopefully in a few years they will be big enough to create their own shade. I've had them since 2002 or so and they are still small, during bad winters the culms die back totally, but new ones come back in late spring. I think the grove is about oh, maybe 10 feet long total.

I might grow yellow groove this year, it's hardy to -15 or something. :)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus