Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ways of propagation

Posted by staticx 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 23:22

hello everyone on the bamboo forum

im just buying a new house and would like to make a screen of bamboo,im gonna make an underground raised bed to make it grow in a line.

anyway,i was goona come here asking if anyone wanted to trade some bamboo germplasm for some diffrent seeds i have.
but i dont know if this is possible.

so my question is, what diffrent ways of propagating bamboo have you personally been succesful with. i dont want any theories lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ways of propagation

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 19:16

It's unlikely that you will have success with trying to propagate bamboo. Bamboo is expensive because many of them can't be propagated via the usual methods, and most plants for sale at nurseries are simply divisions off of other mature plants. It's true that you could possibly propagate from a viable chunk of rhizome, but, even if you succeed with that, it will probably be 5 years before you have a plant as tall as you. If you really want a hedge any time in the near future, you'll simply need to buy potted plants of a very hardy bamboo species.

o

There are basically 3 ways to propagate bamboo. Depending on the species some are easy , some are hard.
1 is seed. Unless you gather it yourself, be wary of the true identification. Much of it is nonviable and there are many shady sellers of seed. Its also the longest to maturity

2 is cuttings. This is cutting between the nodes, placing them in soil and hope they make new roots and shoots. Many variables in this, the bamboo species, the place on the cane its taken, the time of year and the care it recieves. I have had up to 90% success and as low as 0

3 is rhizome division. This is the fastest to maturity and virtually 100% if done right. Check out the bamboo info sites it will tell you all about it.

Try to stay with clumping species. Thats hard in zone 6, check into Fargesia sp. Contain any runner you may like to plant.

Bamboo is not really expensive , especially when compared to many trees. When buying your first plants , stay with a reputable nursery who knows what they are selling

Here is a link that might be useful: http://spacecoastbamboo.com

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 13:37

Don't bother to try to propagate running bamboo from culm cuttings. It's my understanding that this method only works with clumping species. In any case, I've never heard of anyone succeeding with it.

o

I have not heard that about runners. It does surprise me though. I wont dispute it, i only work with clumpers

Here is a link that might be useful: http://spacecoastbamboo.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here