Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are the laws in WA regarding tall bamboo growing?

Posted by Qrameses WA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 0:31

I'm also looking for the right species. Hopefully one no taller than 30 feet. Spreading is fine, as I will be growing it in a container. (An OLD bathtub that will be buried)

I'm wondering though, is it okay for me to do this? Is anyone going to have a problem? I am on 20 acre farmland in northwest WA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are the laws in WA regarding tall bamboo growing?

I bought some nursery pots from a guy in Renton.He grows Bamboo and Palms professionally and came to mind when reading your post.His name is Bryan and phone# is 425-999-5768. Brady

o

Qrameses-
Do your neighbors care how tall your trees get? While some people are irrationally afraid of bamboo, and some neighborhood associations can control what you plant, I know of no State or even local governmental laws in Washington that will prevent you from planting whatever you want as far as bamboo is concerned...and I've been growing mine here in the Puget Sound area for many years.

o

Old bathtub ?
That's not going to drain adequately. You could pay someone to cut the bottom out of it, but seems like there are so many better garden uses for an old bathtub.

While the bathtub is a unique idea, I think there are much easier ways. Learn a little more about controlling the bamboo, and you'll be a lot happier. The horror stories you hear have been caused by folks that just didn't care and stuck something tall there to get fast privacy, knowing they were moving in a few years anyway.

This post was edited by plaidbird on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 4:38

o

I live on a farm where neighbors shouldn't be an issue. The bathtub is (Actually there are two) old junk that has been sitting there for years. One of them is a style that would be easy to build up a couple feet with brick. (which is also laying around) I'm trying utilize junk as well as clean up the property..

How tall do you think moso bamboo will get in such restraints?
What else could I use as barriers? (I know they sell rhizome barriers, but free while cleaning up the property is preferred) I also have a few 50 gallon barrels that I was thinking smaller varieties could tolerate well..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here