Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692433

Bamboo Bonsai

User
17 years ago

I saw a thread a couple of years back regarding bamboo bonsai and I saw the pictures.

They were awesome!

I want to try it now.

Has anyone on this thread tried the bamboo bonsai over the past couple of years and have been sucessful?

Care to post some pics?

The pic of the bonsai black bamboo was truly beautiful!

Comments (10)

• cmontross
    17 years ago

I am not into bonsai, though I have been keeping a Ph. n. Henon in a pint container for over a year and will continue to occassionally put small rhizome divisions into pot to attempt to establish. At least I claim I am not into bonsai although I am trying to bonsai bamboo, without putting any true effort into it.
    Chris

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chris,
    Sounds like indirectly you are bonsiaing,(is that a word?)
    a Ph. N Henon.
    I am growing Buddah's from seed and now I am definately going to try to bonsai it. Buddah's would look great as a bonsai.
    I have some Ph. Nigra but would have to wait til it shoots,(after this winter, if it shoots)to see if I can try that also.
    I would think bamboo would be difficult to bonsai due to it's fast growth rate, but oh it is so beautiful in those bonsai pics.
    Good Luck.

• cmontross
    17 years ago

Keeping it in a small pot seems to be doing the trick so far. Time will tell. Sizing up of bamboo is an opportunity issue. Room to grow, Room to get big. I haven't even considered root trimming at this point, but expect after this summer it probably will be.
    Chris

• gdr41
    17 years ago

I do some bonsai. Mostly japanese maples, but some bamboo also. I find dwarf bamboo the best to use. Link below is a pic. of one I made.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:403640}}

• plumeriafl
    17 years ago

This isn't my photo. I saved it a while back from some website. Not exactly bonsai, but it has some of the bonsai appeal. This is Bambusa vulgaris "Wamin"

{{gwi:403641}}

• bugsb
    17 years ago

I brought forward the thread I think you were referring to. It is "Bonzai? small variety". Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: My pond the way it was before the freeze.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Bugsb,
    That is the thread.
    I love your ponds, they are beautiful!

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK
    Now I'm addicted.
    LOVE that bonsai pic.
    Must have taken years for that Boo.
    Thanks!

• tabemasu88
    13 years ago

i want to know can you do root pruning for belly bamboo?
    or if i trim the root like normal bonsai, it will kill the bamboo?

cuz usually ppl use loosen the root and trip it back for bonsai right?
    and belly bamboo usually have roots that is very pack up, will losing the root and cutting them kill it very quickly?

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!