Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboo

Posted by tuckey vermont zone 4-5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 7:08

I am looking to use bamboo as a hedge so as to hide a future development in my back yard.Would like 15 plus feet.high

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboo

Vermont is kind of cold for most varieties of bamboo. If I lived up there, I would be looking into a Fargesia variety. Not sure if it dies back every year or not, but it it does then it would only be a seasonal hedge...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Propagation

o

Think it is too cold for Bamboo, Fargesia or otherwise. Running bamboos may be considered exotic additions to colder climates but feature prominently in botanical nightmares in those zones that they grow best (personal experience!).

Fargesia is a subtropical, mountain genus. In the US, it will grow best along the West Coast and marine-influenced climates in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast (Zones 6 and 7 mostly). Fargesia rufa is a nice plant but even in milder climates, it won't get to 15 feet that fast (not sure of the ultimate height on that one), and even small plants are expensive. There must be other choices for you.

P.S., This is a hedge of F. rufa growing in a grove with dappled sun (about 8-9 feet tall), and planted from small plants about 7 years ago. This past winter was the worst for YEARS, still, it was fine. But don't know if this hardiness would be enough in your zone.

o

Full sun, part sun or shade? You'd have to stick with a cold hardy clumper like Fargesia Nitidia (blue fountain) for example - shade, or look at some of the Phyllo's (full sun) (rhizome barrier required, dont waste time with hack jobs, use High Density Polyethylene and do it once). Btw, there ARE plenty of varieties that will do just fine up there.. check out bamboogarden.com for a nice break down of species and their limitations...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo garden

This post was edited by michael723 on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 21:49

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here