Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo barriers in CT

Posted by irishacre central CT (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 10:07

I'm looking for an in-state source (if possible) for plastic barrier. Any suggestions for thickness (40,60,80mm?) and width (24,30,36")? I'm new to bamboo and would like to hear from anyone in my area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo barriers in CT

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 12:33

40 mil is on the thin side; go with 60 or 80 mil. Also, bamboo rhizomes do not go very deep. If you get 24" barrier and have the top at ground level you'll be fine. If your ground is uneven, you'll want taller barrier so you can trim the top to match the contour (barrier is very stiff). Some people buy 30" barrier and leave at least 4" sticking out of the ground to prevent rhizomes from jumping the barrier. I think this is both unsightly and unnecessary. Even if a barrier jumps over the barrier, you'll see it sooner or later and you can simply chop it off and remove it...it's not like it's going to escape and somehow go uncontrollably crazy. Check your barrier top once or twice a year and you will have no problems.

I buy from a source on the West Coast that sells 60 mil, 30", for $2/foot, plus shipping. If you can't do better than that, email me and I'll give you the contact info.

o

I heard from one bamboo nurseryman that in his opinion the thicker stuff isn't as good because it doesn't have enough flexibility, so will eventually split from the rhizome pressure buildup.

I can't say I agree with that, but I don't have experience with barrier at all.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 22:28

alan-
Interesting...but I also don't agree with that. I'm basing my opinions on my own experience and some folks who are in the bamboo nursery business...

o

Does anyone know where I can buy barrier in Ct.?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here