Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winterhardygardener

Bambusa multiplex 'Thai Hedge'

Hi all! I have a question that I hope someone can help me with: is there anybody familiar with Bambusa multiplex 'Thai Hedge.' The website I found it on claims that it can reach heights of 50'. Wow! Since it's a form of Bambusa multiplex, it should show considerable winter hardiness. I've included a link to the website that lists 'Thai Hedge.' You might have to scroll down to find it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bambooranch.net/plantlist.php

Comments (6)

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

That site lists a lot of interesting bamboo, although they have a lot of fanciful names for some of their stuff that I've never heard elsewhere, including "Thai hedge." I'm always skeptical of maximum size claims...they usually mean the biggest that has ever been found somewhere in the world...not the typical size. I've been growing bamboo for over 10 years in a temperate climate, and the species I am growing are only about 1/2 the size Bamboo Ranch lists as the maximum. I don't know if they are claiming that "Thai hedge" is some exotic, special form of B. multiplex, or what, but the American Bamboo Society species tables list 12 varieties of B. multiplex, and none of them grow higher than 25', and none of them get bigger than 1.5" in diameter. Given that you are in the same Zone as I am, I will also caution you that B. multiplex does not do well over the long term in our climate. It may do well for several years, but then it gets whacked when there is a prolonged cold spell.

• WinterHardyGardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good points, kudzu9. I can attest to the fact that Bambusa multiplex 'Alphonse Karr' can experience significant leaf burn during the winter in my climate. I expect other B. multiplex cultivars to also exhibit such damage during similar winters as well and their ultimate height and vigor is compromised. Thanks for the advice.

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

Yes, as Kudzu mentioned, there are a lot of 'fanciful' names listed there, of which I have never heard of before, and the sizes listed are much larger than listed anywhere else for most of their bamboos.

If you want a large bamboo that is a bit hardier than the B. multiplexes, I'd go with Bambusa textilis which grows to about 45 feet in height here with culms about 3 inches in diameter. It rarely gets much leaf burn when the multiplexes do.

It is a well kept bamboo and needs little care, if any. We've had temps down below freezing for more than 2 straight days and it got down into the single digits and it did very well, but I'd be sure to keep it watered well during any cold spells.

Kt

• WinterHardyGardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kentuck_8b, you bring up something that I've been looking in to for a while--the hardiness of Bambusa textilis. I've read a lot of conflicting reports. Some report that Bambusa textilis is as hardy or hardier than Bambusa multiplex, while others report that Bambusa textilis can be killed outright by 15F. Why do you think your Bambusa textilis has performed better than your Bambusa multiplex clones? (Anyone can comment on their experiences or opinions of the hardiness of Bambusa textilis. I'm hoping someone will.)

Maybe there are more cold hardy forms of B. textilis in circulation. Among others, I know of B. textilis 'Kanapaha,' but I don't expect it to be more cold hardy than a standard B. textilis. Yet, I have found a source that says it has grown successfully in zone 8a since the early 1980s! (see link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bambusa textilis 'Kanapaha' in zone 8a

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

B. textilis is a beautiful bamboo, if you can grow it. I had a nice, large one that I planted in a protected area of my yard up against the house. The first winter it got heavily damaged, but came back some in the summer. The second winter killed it. That's in Zone 8, Greater Seattle area. In addition, when I visited the local nursery where I got it, all of theirs had not made it through the winter either. Good luck if you try it.

By the way, that was an interesting link. I dont think my temp ever got lower than 15F the winter it died.

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

Yes, there may be clones of textilis that are hadirer than others, I don't know though.

Mine was sold to me as the regular textilis, not Kanapaha, and it is on the north side of my yard so it catches the full brunt of the Winter northerly winds and it does better than my multiplexes which are inside my yard with some protection.

It gets hardier as it gets larger also. Mine grows larger than the listed size for regular textilis, but some clones which are planted out in the open don't get quite as large, so 'where' you plant it will decide size also.

My first plant has been in the ground for over 10 years now and in that time it has dropped down below 15F numerous times, but as Kudzu and I have discussed before, the length of the cold spell has a lot to do with it. In other words, getting down to the single digits isn't much of a problem unless it remains there for a long period of time. I can grow Wamin here but it doesn't do very well in the Pacific northwest, and may not even be able to be grown there at all, even though the zones are similarly rated...I'm in 8b.

We've had cold spells down below 15F for more than a dozen hours and the textilis did just fine. It's been covered with ice on a few ocassions also without much damage.

I can't give any other explanations for why mine does well here. I can state only how well it does and how it reacts to the cold.

Good Luck.

Kt