Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mia_blake

Bamboo companion planting

MiaOKC
10 years ago

Hello! We are mid-renovation of our pool area in the backyard in zone 7. Part of the renovation is getting the bamboo beaten back into a more manageable area (neglected by a former owner and it had run all over the yard), and installing a barrier along at least part of its run. We're pushing the poolside retaining wall back five feet, so in some areas we will have bamboo right up to the wall (with the barrier on the backside of the wall) but further along we will have a space between the er bamboo and the wall for some more plantings. I want things hardy to zone 7 and "clean" to keep leaves and blooms from dropping in the pool. I've got an Asian pear tree in the bamboo already, and between it and the bamboo I have plenty of skimming to do - don't want to add more. I think tropical-looking plants will look best with the bamboo backdrop, maybe cannas and banana trees? Any other suggestions or pictures of other possibilities? I have yellow groove bamboo.

Last summer, previous location of retaining wall:
{{gwi:404092}}

Last year - the wall is being relocated just about to the base of the bamboo here:
{{gwi:404094}}

This pic shows the overview a little better. The framing on the far side of the pool is the new wall's location. On the left, there is about 6' deep x 20' long empty area behind the wall until you get to the bamboo. That's where I can plant other items. I also plan to put some kind of fountain in that area.

{{gwi:404096}}

{{gwi:404098}}

I know I could let the bamboo fill in all the way to the wall (similar to this rendering) but since I have about 100'+ running along our suburban lot I think I have plenty and would like some variety.

{{gwi:404099}}

Comment (1)