Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo companion planting

Posted by MiaOKC 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 11:28

Hello! We are mid-renovation of our pool area in the backyard in zone 7. Part of the renovation is getting the bamboo beaten back into a more manageable area (neglected by a former owner and it had run all over the yard), and installing a barrier along at least part of its run. We're pushing the poolside retaining wall back five feet, so in some areas we will have bamboo right up to the wall (with the barrier on the backside of the wall) but further along we will have a space between the er bamboo and the wall for some more plantings. I want things hardy to zone 7 and "clean" to keep leaves and blooms from dropping in the pool. I've got an Asian pear tree in the bamboo already, and between it and the bamboo I have plenty of skimming to do - don't want to add more. I think tropical-looking plants will look best with the bamboo backdrop, maybe cannas and banana trees? Any other suggestions or pictures of other possibilities? I have yellow groove bamboo.

Last summer, previous location of retaining wall:
Untitled

Last year - the wall is being relocated just about to the base of the bamboo here:
Untitled

This pic shows the overview a little better. The framing on the far side of the pool is the new wall's location. On the left, there is about 6' deep x 20' long empty area behind the wall until you get to the bamboo. That's where I can plant other items. I also plan to put some kind of fountain in that area.

Untitled

Untitled

I know I could let the bamboo fill in all the way to the wall (similar to this rendering) but since I have about 100'+ running along our suburban lot I think I have plenty and would like some variety.

pool render two

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo companion planting

I think adding some variety would be a better choice in the long run, but that's just my opinion.
Bamboo is a beautiful decorative choice, but too much of it can be excessive.
Yellow generally compliments the look of Bamboo, but the exact type of plant you would want to use is up to you. There's a website called "bamboogarden.com" that might be of some use to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: TreeSpeak101.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here