Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mschwartz26

Question on bamboo health...

mschwartz26
12 years ago

I am new to growing bamboo and hoping I can get some advise! I don�t know the names of the 2 plants in question. Each one is approximately the size of a coke can in diameter (maybe even a little larger). They are both green, single stalks that were cut to be approximately 7-8 feet tall. I purchased them along with some black bamboo from a Bamboo nursery in Southern CA. Where they were purchased is definitely warmer than my house as I am much closer to the ocean.

I don�t pictures while writing this, but can get some. I believe the guy said that one of them was called Vietnamese bamboo (but that seems very vague to me).

When I purchased the bamboo (about 6 weeks ago), the larger green stalks had a ton of leaves on them. I planted them in redwood planters that I built and they seemed to be doing well. After about 2 weeks, I decided that the planter boxes were not going to be large enough. I built much bigger ones and replanted. I had purchased soil from the grower and needed didn�t have enough for the larger boxes. I went to my local HD and spoke to someone that I really think knows what she is talking about! She recommended some potting soil that she used to grow bamboo at her house.

I replanted in the larger planters (2' x 2' x 2'). The black bamboo appears to be doing good. There is some yellowing on the leaf tips, but I think that is still from the shock (these were purchased as a 15 gallon and cut in �). Both of the black bamboo�s have a ton of new shots coming up already.

One of the larger green bamboo plant�s leaves slowly turned yellow, dried up, and now all the leaves have fallen off. The other ones lost the majority of its leaves (still holding strong with some of them) and is now actually starting to produce new leaves. The remaining leaves do not look that healthy in my opinion.

We have had some storms over the last couple of weeks with strong winds.

I have been watering them approximately every other day. I will hold the hose on them for approximately 10 seconds. I believe this soil drains very well. Prior to watering them I will stick my hand down in the soil and it is cold to the touch, but if you squeeze it, there is not water that is visible. I wouldn�t call it wet by any means but also wouldn�t say it is dry.

I am really worried about the one plant that dropped all of its leaves. I check every day to see if any new leaves are growing yet and nothing (the drop happened about 2 weeks ago). It appears that some of the twigs/branches (not sure what they are called) coming off the stalk are still green in color but I haven't found any signs of new leaves forming.

Thoughts? I do not know if I am not watering enough, over watering, just paranoid, etc. I give all the plants the same amount of water. As mentioned, the 2 black bamboo�s are doing good, 1 of the large green ones is so so and the other has no more leaves.

Thanks in advance for any advise. The larger green plants cost $150 each so I want to do what needed to insure they survive!

Comment (1)