Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Bamboo

Posted by txgardenlady Z8B in Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 11:54

Does anyone know if a weedeater with a blade rather than a string will cut bamboo? Our neighbor uses a reciprocating saw, but he has to get on his knees. We will be shrinking the grove a little with cutting and painting the glycosphates.

In the meantime - if anyone wants some that is nearby - There is TempleBamboo, Vivax and GreyGhost types. I don't know what part you use for reproducing -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Bamboo

Can't tell you about the blade...I've always used just a branch lopper. I'm also not sure about the value of painting the cut ends with poison since what you cut off will never grow back anyway.

o

Hello TxGardenLady. I didn't know you had bamboo.

If the culms are not too large, they can be cut with the weedeater blade, if the blade is the right one and sharp. If the culms are 1 1/2 inches or larger, it might be a tough cut though.

Also, it will help to have someone hold up the culm while someone else cuts it.

Good Luck

Kt

o

We cut some bamboo today and used an old brush saw with about a 18" to 24" blade on it. About 30 years ago I had a weed eater with an 8" saw blade that would cut large brush. The weedeater needs a clutch on it so it will slip if it gets hung up. That saw was not a lot of fun to use.

If I had been the one cutting today I think I would have used a recip saw because I think they are safer and can cut closer to the ground. The large saw we used had a 6.5 hp engine on it and really did a quick job of cutting,but by the time you got 2' into the grove it was too hard to push the saw because of the stumps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here