Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboo stakes growing?

Posted by ekoboat z6 MO (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 07 at 12:01

Perhaps this has been addressed before... I use short(3-6 in) bamboo stakes to mark where I plant, so I don't forget and accidentally dig something up. Yesterday I was reworking a bed and found 2 bamboo stakes that had been left in the bed all last summer had grown roots! There was no growth above ground, only roots. Has this happened to anyone else? Could you actually start bamboo this way? Yes, these are from the dried 4ft packages you buy anywhere.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboo stakes growing?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 07 at 13:18

That is highly unusual, and the fact that the canes were dried makes it even more perplexing. Usually the only bamboo that can be started from culm (cane) cuttings are certain tropical species, and you do tht in a special way with freshly pruned culms. Now it's possible that the stakes you bought came from SE Asia where this type of bamboo is common, but when they're dried they're essentially dead. I don't know what to say. Could you post a picture?

o

Are you sure it is actually bamboo? Last year I went to a flea market and a person there was selling "bamboo" stakes that were actually Japanese Knotweed and Japanese Knotweed can propagate from small pieces if they are not completely dead.

Bill

o

I'm not sure this is bamboo, I'm looking for some educated imput. These were found in a bed with castor bean and elephant ears. I kept all the seed pods cut off so I know it's not castor bean. There are some tree roots from a plant that was there (before we bought this house) but the growth comes off a big root, not a stand alone plant. Anything I find growing in my beds gets pulled out, not cut off. I can't think of anything else that could be there. It doesn't seem possible that a bamboo stake could start growing. Here is a link to some photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7464701@N02/
Does bamboo even have roots like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo?

o

Doesn't look like bamboo to me.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 24, 07 at 2:09

ekoboat-
It's not bamboo. Not only doesn't it look like bamboo, bamboo has no seed pods, and it doesn't have the pith that shows in your photo. That looks like some woody plant or weed to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here