Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Fargesia

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 12:13

My Fargesia bamboo has been in a container for a couple of years. I am getting some new growth right now but the leaves on the rest of the plant are a very pale green/yellow. Would it be wise to cut the bamboo back and let all the new shoots grow? How can I get the leaves greener? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Fargesia

It could indicate too much/little water, inadequate light, need for fertilization, or a need for repotting. In any case, "pruning" will not help. Bamboo are not like other plants in this regard. All pruning will do is permanently remove branches that will never grow back, and it will not stimulate growth. I can't tell you exactly what is wrong given the little info provided, but I can tell you that pruning is not the solution.

o

I agree with Kudzu, pruning will NOT solve the problem.

However, the yellowing leaves could also be seasonal or the seasonal changing of the leaves, but it may be happening in conjuction with any combination of the problems that Kudzu mentioned also.

Kt

o

Thank you both for your quick replies. Okay, NO PRUNING..got it! Hmmm, okay most likely seasonal changes then. I fertilized it last week with a little bit of lawn fertilizer. I haven't watered it because it is already moist. It is sitting in a sunny spot and it has several new shoots. Should it be kept in the sun? Thanks again for your help.

o

cadence-
That all sounds fine. Sun is good as long as the soil is moist. I'm wondering how big the plant is in relation to the pot. Can you post a picture of what you are dealing with?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here