Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
eating/preserving bamboo shoots

Posted by hank11 8 Northern Ca. (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 13:48

This year we have an abundance of Phy. Dulcis (Sweetshoot) popping up in an area we don't want to expand the grove. We've been enjoying lots of bamboo stir fry and have given some away. I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep some for later. Can I freeze it? Does it have to be cooked or raw? Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: eating/preserving bamboo shoots

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 16:11

bump...

o

You can pick the shoots up and par boil them and then jar them and boil the jars for like 2 hours and these should keep for at least a year. You can also freeze them but it wouldn't taste as good.

o

hank11, those bamboo shoots can definitely be frozen and kept for later. Actually many Asian supermarkets sell them shoots frozen; I find them tastier than the canned ones, but nothing beats the fresh ones of course.
I'd just clean them, pat dry, then freeze; there's no need to boil them if you're going to put them in the freezer otherwise they become mushy when thawed.

o

Yes freeze them and later you can add them to the soup.

o

• Posted by hank11 8 Northern Ca. (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 9:07

Do the shoots need to be peeled before freezing?

o

Usually I just wrap them up whole and put in the freezer, but they usually get eaten within two weeks or so; sometimes quicker! But I recall if you want to keep them frozen longer - like maybe more than two months you may want to peel and parboil them first. Also, if the shoots are from the bitter and astringent species - boiling them with a handfull of rice seem to take out the bitter taste.

o
RE: eating/preserving bamboo shoots-add.

PS. you can also slice the shoots into thin and flat pieces for drying. Dried shoots can keep a long time; when ready to use just soak them about 12hrs beforehand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here