Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phyll. dulcis vs. Phyllo. decora

Posted by treeguy_ny z6a WNY (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 14:02

Hello,

I've decided to plant one of these two species but cannot pick which one. Between the two, I'm looking for the one that will get the tallest with the thickest canes.

I live in USDA zone 6a. Avg winter min is somewhere around -5F (I got access to past 50 years of weather station data). When the temps do drop below zero it is usually only for a couple scattered days in late winter(they haven't done so these past two years). We have pretty consistent snow cover from mid-December through the end of February. Summers are not excessively hot, rarely going above 90F, and moderately humid.

Any suggestions as to which would perform better in my climate? I already have some two/three year old plantings of P. atrovaginata, P. nuda, P. rubromarginata, and P. nigra 'henon' - all of which are doing well. I also have P. aureosulcata 'spectabilis' on the way this spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phyll. dulcis vs. Phyllo. decora

I am in 8a Dallas but maybe this will give you an idea about Dulcis. I am a bit unhappy with its size so far but its also growing in terrible dirt/clay. It has yet to come up this spring so waiting to see what size I get this year. Hopefully I get at least 1.5 - 2 inch culms but to me this seems small after 3-4 yrs in the ground already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boo

o

kevip711 - thanks for the pictures and input. The planting spot I have in mind has pretty good soil. The rubromarginata, nuda, and atrovaginata are adjacent to this spot and are all doing really well.

Anybody else have advise/experience/input? Thanks!

o

both are about equally hardy, the manii decora may be just slightly hardier, but not enough to really make a diference. having said that, the dulcis will produce fatter culms, and in less time, forming an open grove, the manii decora will probably end up a bit taller, with less thick culms but wil make a tighter grove.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here