Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of bamboo should I buy?

Posted by buddhahoon South Carolina (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 15:25

Hey everyone! I am sure this question has been addressed before but I couldnt find the direct answer I am looking for.

I have an area approx: 150ft x 75ft that i want to fill with bamboo quickly for privacy and I just think it looks amazing.

What kind of bamboo has the following qualities;

1. Most invasive
2. Fast growing
3. Tall
4. Spreads like Kudzu
5. Will grow in my climate (South Carolina)
6. Hardy and easy to grow (I am not a very good Gardner)
7. Is obtainable in bulk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of bamboo should I buy?

Are you fairly close to the Silverbrook cemetery in Anderson South Carolina? If you are close enough to the grove, I've heard that they do allow people to dig moso divisions form the perimeter of the grove.

My suggestion is to dig the smaller culms on the perimeter because they tend to have more exposure to the sun, more overall stored energy, and establish a lot faster.

I would suggest going for a visit and then digging out some massive multi-culm divisions 200+lbs. I would suggest going before April because that's when shooting season happens. Divisions won't be nearly as successful or energized after shoots emerge.

Here is a link that might be useful: forum link to location

o
RE: What kind of bamboo should I buy?

If the above advise is not an option, I would look at red margin (Phyllostachys rubromarginata) bamboo. I have read studies from research that this variety is the fastest to spread and fill in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here