Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollenback_gw

Bamboo Dig in Centralia, WA

hollenback
17 years ago

Attn: Kudzu and Wildbillgt :-)

Does anyone want to dig bamboo this coming weekend?

I have been talking to a woman in Centralia, WA and she says that they have six species of bamboo including vivax, timber, golden, yellow groove, black and a low growing variegated. They want to sell the property and would like to find people to take the bamboo before they sell. Her husband will be getting back from Kosovo on Friday for a three week vacation so the timing would be right.

She says that most of the plantings are about 6 feet across but some have escaped into the neighbors yard so we would also have to work with the neighbor to remove them.

I will be going to a PNWC ABS board meeting in Tacoma on Saturday and I might stay till Sunday to dig bamboo. :)

I will get back with more information as soon as I hear back from her husband.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: New information will be posted here first.

Comments (12)

• wildbillgt
    17 years ago

That is so funny, I didnt see your Attn: Kudzu and WildBill, all I saw was free boo!!!!
    I am so in, we are looking at sunday??
    You fill in the blanks and I will be there, what about the fella in Seaside? cant think of his name (been awhile).
    Kudzu, you gotta come bro, its been awhile!!!
    I have my sliding blow cutter, a serious prybar that can lift the wall of a house!! A cordless sawzall with four batteries, all the good stuff, Im good to go!! Timings good, the next weekend after that im in Hawaii.

• hollenback
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received the following information from the owner of the bamboo.
    ------------------------------
    About 6 of the stands do cover about 6 feet - these stands are Vivax, golden groove, a variety of Japanese timber bamboo, 2 stands of golden, and a stand of black. Some may be slightly smaller than 6 feet, but certainly close.

One other stand is about 12 feet long and is a mix of about a 5 to 6 foot high variegated and some miniature non variegated.

The final stand is about 8 feet, in a fairly confined area, and is also a variegated variety, that tops out at about 4 to 5 feet.
    ------------------------

It sounds like there will be plenty of bamboo for anyone that would like to dig.
    I am going to go there on Saturday after the meeting and come back on Sunday to do the digging. I was thinking of starting at 9:00 and being there until 5:00 or everyone leaves. I will have a six hour drive so I cannot stay later.

After Sunday I hope to get someone else to work with the owner to get the rest dug up before he heads back.

Bill

• wildbillgt
    17 years ago

Want me to find a restaraunt, do some breakfast?

• hollenback
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Breakfast would be good.
    The bamboo is near I-5 exit number #82/Harrison Ave.

Bill

• wildbillgt
    17 years ago

Looks like Kudzu's bailing on us, doesnt he know that guest from abroad are free labor???
    Thats alright dude, it pained me to watch you bend that bamboo into your van anyway...
    Just kidding, oh well, some other time, Does your daughter still live down this way? gimme a call when you come down, I'll make you lunch!

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

wildbill-
    It pains me...you know I'd rather be digging bamboo than entertaining out-of-town visitors. And besides, I broke down and brought a trailer so I can handle that long stuff now! Good to hear from you. I'll email you separately.

• wildbillgt
    17 years ago

Must be the wifes side..... ;)

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

wildbill-
    However did you guess...?

• wildbillgt
    17 years ago

You outta like this place, what time did you want to meet?
    It close to the site.

Country Cousin
    (360) 736-2200
    1054 Harrison Ave
    Centralia WA.

• hollenback
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sounds good. How about 8:00.

It looks like we have some people that can only be there in the morning and other will show up in the afternoon.

If anyone else reads this and wants to dig feel free to call me on my cell phone at: 509-981-0664

Bill

• wildbillgt
    17 years ago

Sounds like a date.

• hollenback
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If anyone else wants some bamboo there is still some left that they would like removed. There is a lot of Aurea, a good size area of Nigra, a small (3' dia) clump of Japanese timber plus some stray culms and rhizomes and a large section of S. m. 'Albostriata' and an unknown green groundcover bamboo. If someone would like to contact the owners, they can reach them at norwaylil@gmail.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos from the Dig.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner