Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_m

Probably not 'Golden Goddess' but maybe 'Golden Hawaiian'?

marcia_m
12 years ago

I bought this bamboo last spring at Lowe's, labeled 'Golden Goddess.' However, I'm now questioning that label.

Here it is when first planted and a few weeks later.

{{gwi:404693}}

It grew two large culms over the summer but this winter we had a few days with lows about 25F. This is what it looks like today. Notice the culm diameter.

Do you think this is 'Golden Hawaiian?'

Marcia

{{gwi:404694}}

{{gwi:404696}}

{{gwi:404697}}

{{gwi:404698}}

{{gwi:404699}}

Comments (7)

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

Kind of hard for me to make a positive ID but it looks like it might be one of the Phyllostachys which are running bamboos, not clumping like Golden Goddess.

There is a possibility that it is Al Karr(Bambusa multiples 'Al Karr').

Do the internodes have grooves in them?

Kt

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boy, I hope you're wrong about it being a running bamboo! The internodes don't have grooves in them.
    Marcia

{{gwi:404700}}

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I should also say that the new growth is coming from the bottom of the current culms and are not new culms.
    Marcia

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

In your last pic, the grooves would be on the side that is not visible, or above where the limbs are growing out from the culm.

From all the pics you posted, I'd have to go with Bambusa multiplex 'Al Karr', and it is a clumper. The pink colored limbs in the fourth pic also are characteristic of Al Karr.

I have seen bamboo for sale at Home Depot before and it was labeled wrong. Unless you purchase from a reputable bamboo nursery, then you could be getting anything, and I've even gotten incorrectly labeled plants from two different bamboo nurseries.

If new shoots pop up a foot or more from the culms you have there, then you have something else than Al Karr, and probably not a clumper.

Kt

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Kt. This is my only bamboo and I don't know a great deal about them. I'll check for grooves tomorrow. So far, the two culms that have emerged since it was planted were only inches from the others, but I'll watch for any stray ones--I don't want running bamboo.

I wondered when the new culms emerged so large whether it was GG, because everything I read said that variety grows to 1/2 inch in diameter. Al Karr would definitely be better for this spot than Golden Hawaiian.
    Marcia

• botanicalbill
    12 years ago

I have some golden hawaiian at my house, it looks identical to what you have. The golden hawaiian will get up to four inches in diameter. The al karr is a much smaller bamboo but can get upto 1 1/2". Its going to come down to a year or two from now, is what you have 3-4 inch or 1-2 inch clums.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bambusa_Vulgaris_Vitatta_Golden_Hawaiian

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is a slight indentation on the opposite side of the internode. Is that good or bad? (clumping vs. running?)

Bill, I guess it will be a waiting game to see how large the new culms will be.

Thanks for all the help.
    Marcia

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner