Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melwins10

Yellowing Leaves on Oldhamii Bamboo

melwins10
12 years ago

I have planted 15 gallon Oldhamii timber bamboo all around my property and the leaves on most of the plants have started turning yellow this past week as well as the stems. I withdrew watering and then the leaves started to curl lengthwise, so I watered again. I am at a loss as to what to do. How many leaves die back in the spring? Could this be it?

Comments (10)

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

How were the plants transported to your property? Did you fertilize them at the time of transplanting?

Can you post some pictures?

Kt

• melwins10
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for answering. These Oldham's were bought two months ago from a local nursery in Gardena, CA. near where I live, zone 9 "ish." I ammended the soil with lots of compost -- Kellogg gardening soil, however, the soil deeper down is clay. We've had a few days of heavy rain, then wind, then cold snaps around 40 degrees at night. The "boos" were fine until this and the leaves seemed to yellow within a few days. I'm checking the soil, it seems moist but not waterlogged. I'm using a grass slow-release ferilizer high in nitrogen.

• melwins10
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a photo. I hope I did this correctly:)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://tinypic.com/r/demx3l/5

• melwins10
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:404959}}

• BambooGranny
    12 years ago

It could very well be transplant shock. If you will notice, the dying leaves start back at the stem, not from the ends of the leaves, (cold nips from the ends of the leaves). Your plant is drawing something from the soil that is doing this.
    Is there any chance that there could be some weed killer in the soil where it is planted? Or run-off from an area where weed killer or chlorine bleach could contaminate the soil? I know bamboo is very sensitive to chlorine, which it can come in contact with from a laundry drainage area. These are just ideas of thought, stabbing in the dark as it were!

• melwins10
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for your response, I will check into it!

• dansof
    12 years ago

My bamboo is about three years old. the leaves aren't browning like in the photo above - but they are all yellowish - as opposed to a healthy green.
    ideas?

• euqruob
    12 years ago

Be thankful...mine is blooming :(

• Chris Li
    7 years ago

melwins10, so how did you solve your problem? I have the similar issue. I think it's too much water. you may think the top of the soil is just moist but the very buttom that touches the clay is waterlogged and soggy. that's my experience. you have to raise the bamboo up 2 inches so the bottom of the bamboo is well above the water line.