Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcreef

black timor bamboo b. lako help!........... pics!

jcreef
16 years ago

Hey bamboo gurus!

I am a little worried, I bought a gorgeous Black timor bamboo B. lako 4 days ago on Sat. March 8th. This plant is big! It is probably close to 20 feet tall. Today 4 days later I am noticing the leaves curling up and wilting some. What do you guys think it might be?

It is still in the pot I bought it in as I was going to plant it in the ground this weekend. It gets plenty of light. I am in Miami Florida. I was thinking maybe the drive to my home could have stressed it out as the wind on the ride home was really rustling the leaves around. Any thoughts? when I've watered i've watered normally every 2 days do I need to completely drench it's pot? the soil is moist but could hold a lot more water.

Should I worry?

I was just going to mix up some superthrive and give it a dose.

I'd really appreciate any advise suggestions or ideas. Thanks SOOOO Much!!

-Jc

Here are some pictures:

{{gwi:405152}}

{{gwi:405153}}

{{gwi:405154}}

{{gwi:405155}}

{{gwi:405156}}

Thanks again guys!!

Comments (4)

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Did it dry out completely at any point? It looks like the leaves got dried out from lack of water, or perhaps as you said, from the windy ride home.

Is it in the same amount of sun as it was where you bought it from? A change from less to much more sunlight can be hard on it also.

Mine is still in a greenhouse(potted) and the leaves look yellowish, but not rolled and wilted as your is. It is starting to put on leaves now.

Kt

• jcreef
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Kt,

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure if it dried out completely, I really doubt it as I've watered it a couple times.

I do have an update though, Right after I posted I went out and gave it a good soaking with some superthrive. I think I probably was under watering it. So even though I had been watering it, I think I was UNDER watering it. The leaves as of now have perked back up. Hopefully, it'll start sending out new growth... it will go in the ground this weekend:)

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

jcreef-
    I think it got a double whammy. First, you dehydrated it on the way home and wind-burned the leaves. In the future, if you have to transport bamboo in this manner, the best thing to do is take twine, start at the bottom of the culms, and tightly spiral-wind the twine so that all the branches and leaves are compressed against the culm and can't whip around. (Don't wrap the plant with plastic as you can cook it if it's enclosed on the drive home.)

Secondly, you likely under-watered it at the worst time...right after you dehydrated it, and in the days thereafter! I doubt you have done any permanent damage and it sounds like it's recovering. Just remember, if it's in a pot, particularly in your climate, it's hard to over-water. Good luck.

• PicoAzores
    8 years ago

Is this Purple Timor Bamboo? Or is purple bamboo a joke or a scam? What is the Latin name for a Purple Timor Bamboo? It is pictured on the internet as strongly purple.