Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randytootall

Bamboo in Knoxville

randytootall
14 years ago

I am moving to Knoxville TN this summer from Michigan. just wondering what zone are you in and what is the best boo for your area. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Are you asking for suggestions for Knoxville, or what?

• matt-walker
    14 years ago

I'm 120 miles N.E. of Knoxville, maybe a zone cooler. Most around here grow Yellow Groove. I'm trying a few other kinds, time will tell.
    Asheville isn't far from Knoxville- 4th Annual Bamboo Festival-July 10-11, 2010-Asheville, NC. If you are that close this is a must go event.
    Matt

• mymessagetomark_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Does anyone know the species growing behind the Unitarian Universalist church along the greenway? Or the large species growing along the pigeon river in North Carolina?I'm interested in a variety that is suitable for building material.

• fingersoup
    13 years ago

Zone 7. Are you curious about runners or clumpers?

• jon_z6b
    13 years ago

I live an hour south of Knoxville.

I collected my Yellow Groove from a feral stand (a very old hotel site, the hotel was long gone). It is a very strong grower, tall rather than dense- DEFINITELY NEEDS A ROOT BARRIER TO KEEP CONTAINED. Oh, and the snow bends it down too much. I don't like it.

I see Japanese Arrow bamboo used a lot for landscaping around here (especially at the fancy riverfront homes that have neighbors too close). I like it. Makes good garden stakes. Very dense. It does spread but is one of the easiest to keep contained.

I have also collected Golden bamboo in the area. Mine has remained small and clumping- but it's under a very large pecan tree.

A local stand of blue-grey Henon flowered and died some five years back I guess. It's very large and vigorous.

Moso is too tender (mine froze back three years in a row and finally died). Madake I love- the dense wood holds a snow load well. Slow growing but has a character about it. You would probably have to buy it though.

There's a very large stand of some type of super large timber bamboo along some railroad tracks along Hwy 11 (called Kingston Pike in Knoxville),in Mcdonald- two hours south. I have considered stopping and asking the owner about them. Actually I've seen a few other odd types around here as well (besides our native type).

• alan_l
    13 years ago

Just my own comment about rhizome barrier -- it's not the only way to keep Yellow Groove (or any other runner) contained. Some would argue it's not the best either.

• tigerlilly_2010
    12 years ago

in southern tn, im looking for timber bamboo starts , please

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor