Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hank11_gw

Fertilizing Moso

hank11
14 years ago

I want to get the maximum growth for my Moso but don't want to cause it to shoot any sooner. It gets frustrating to have it shoot and then lose all the new shoots to a late freeze. This year I tried putting a layer of light colored straw over the area and I think it is helping to keep the ground cooler and hopefully delay the shooting for a while. The weather however has been unseasonably warm and I'm sure it is only about two weeks at the most before it starts. I want to fertilize but am afraid it might cause it to shoot earlier. ANY THOUGHTS? Fingernails have been chewed to the nub.

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I would not expect fertilization to affect the timing, which I would expect to be regulated by natural environmental factors instead.

Are you sure the shoots aborted in the past were frosted, and not instead lost to inadequate moisture?

• daveh_sf
    14 years ago

I agree with bboy, I think soil fertility has little or no effect on timing of shoots. However that does bring up an interesting question: How does the timing of fertilizer application affect the amount of growth (i.e., ultimate height) of new shoots? Assuming you use a water-soluble fertilizer rather than compost or other type of slow acting fertilizer, I would guess that the most important time to have high nutrient levels is during the middle period of culm growth, when the height increases the fastest. If that's the case, you're better off waiting to fertilize until after new shoots start. Anyone know for sure?

• hank11
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bboy, Yes it was definately a late freeze in mid April, it also got all the Dulcis that had come up. It's a real bummer because the first shoots are generally the largest.

Dave, I use 15-15-15 for my first application. When I fertilize my fruit and shade trees I wait until they have leafed out, but with Bamboo I'm trying to maximize the growth at shooting time without screwing up

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

hank-
    I think that applying fertilizer now is not going to affect the size of the shoots very much. If the fertilizer has any effect, it might be to provoke shooting a little earlier, which you say you don't want. I'd say wait until you fertilize everything else. And in the late fall, fertilize with something like 0-10-10, which will help promote stronger rhizomes, and give you better growth in the spring. Also, I never use regular fertilizer during the growing months...just a big handful or two of slow growth fertilizer scattered around in April works for me.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

When using fertilizers always determine what, if any specific nutrients are deficient and apply products that will address that particular deficiency.

In my region nitrogen is normally all that could use some boosting - in those instances were fertilization is called for.

Granular fertilizers need to be put on in time for them to wash into the soil and be taken up by feeder roots. Spring and fall are the best times to fertilize most hardy plants. However, since bamboo is a grass the same fertilization program used for lawns should suit it also.

You would not, of course put a fertilizer + broadleaf weed herbicide combo around bamboo unless, I suppose there were a number of broad-leaf weeds growing around it you wanted to kill.

Assuming the broad-leaf herbicide would not bother the bamboo.

But people really shouldn't be using granular herbicide on lawns either.

• hank11
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The 15-15-15 fertilizer I use only in the spring. In the fall 0-10-10- is exactly what I use. during the summer I use light but frequent nitrogen, especially since I mulch heavily with wood chips. Kudzu, I think you might be right about promoting early shooting, I'd better wait. Am I the only one that gets so dang antsy this time of year lol? Wife has been shaking her head and rolling her eyes alot.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

hank-
    We're in the same boat, except mine has quit rolling her eyes...she finally understands that it has no deterrent effect!