Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo ID

Posted by shinola01 z9 Melbourne FL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 08 at 22:04

I have been trying to identify a bamboo variety I have seen twice now at theme parks in Orlando. It is tall, straight as an arrow, with blue-ish green culms. The segments are long, extremely straight, and pretty smooth across the boundaries. The clumps are tight and I have seen up to 3, maybe 3 1/4" diameter culms, reaching heights of 30+ feet.

I have now seen it all over Disney animal kingdom and more recently (but less abundant) at sea-world.

I have several varieties here in coastal Brevard and would like to add this one. I like the tall straight growth so that it doesn't encroach on neighbors air-space. Any help identifying would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shinola.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo ID

B. oldhamii has the most erect growing culms that I know of.

B. chungii has a bluish colour to them, and the culms are straight, erect and have very long internodes.

Another possibility may be B. textilis, and some of it's varieties.

Can you post some photos, that would be very helpful?

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here