Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bklyndirt

How invasive is invasive?

bklyndirt
16 years ago

Hi,

I've just moved into a new place and am gearing up for some major renovation to the teeny tiny wreck of a backyard. Our rowhouse shares an alleyway with the neighbors - about 8' wide and 30' deep. While the ground is shaded, the houses on either side are not too tall so there will be some decent mid-day light come the warmer months.

I'm envisioning a long bamboo bordered path that will lead to a quiet sitting area as well as keep us from seeing into our neighbors widows too easily.

I certainly don't mind getting an aggressive spreader. The faster the area is covered, happier I will be. The area for planting is bordered with brick walls on three sides and a barrier is easily put in on the fourth side. What I worry about is the condition of the walls. These are old houses with brick in less than optimal condition. I've repointed a good deal of the brick, but there's about a 12' length of wall that I cannot get to. I simply don't want to invite any problems into our basement by planting something that will push its way into the cracks and undermine the wall.

So how invasive is invasive? Will I have to worry about a basic Phyllostachys aurea pushing at the bricks?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert