Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willow1987

Need help with bamboo identification

willow1987
12 years ago

I posted a similar post on the ID of my bamboo. I found several new shoots this spring and some of them have a reddish tint to them. Here are some pictures of the new shoots. I hope they can be narrowed down. Thanks

{{gwi:406002}}

{{gwi:406003}}

{{gwi:406004}}

Comments (11)

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

Kind of hard for me to tell from those pictures.

How tall does it grow and how thick are the culms?

Did someone plant it, or is it native to that area?

It looks similar to some of the 'native' bamboo here that grows along waterways but generally only in the shade.

Kt

• willow1987
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kt. The grove that I got it from was a grove that had been there for several years and the bamboo was very tall, maybe 12 or more feet. The culms were probably less than an inch in diameter. I don't know how long the grove has been there but I lived near the area for 10 years

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

There is a bamboo that grows everywhere along waterways here and surrounding counties. I have some that covers about 200 yards along a creek here and I've seen some as far north as College Station, but I have not been able to get a definite ID on the boo.

Your description fits mine also to a tee. I'll look this weekend and compare new shoots then get back with you and from there we can get a more likely positive ID.

Kt

• willow1987
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow that is a very big area of bamboo. I'm hoping mine grows like that. I've only had it for a couple of years and the clump was a very small one. How long does it usually take the bamboo canes to get larger? This years shoots are a little thicker than last years.

• peterknop
    12 years ago

This could be a native boo - Arundinaria gigantea - will grow up to 20 feet with 1 " canes, or Arundinaria tecta, up to 8 feet. Both like wet areas.

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

I'm still not sure if you have the same bamboo, but transplants that I have dug and replanted take about 3 or 4 years to reach full size.

Thickest canes get about 1 inch in diameter and about 12 feet in height and a few up to maybe 15 feet. It survived the coldest Winter here and the worst drought on record.

It grows similar to Arrow Bamboo or like a small Tonkin Cane Bamboo.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow and see if the new shoots look similar to the ones you posted.

Kt

• willow1987
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Peter it does look a little similar to Arundinaria. Along the leaves are hair like growths too. Thanks Kt for taking a look a your bamboo

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

It looks similar to mine here, so it looks like one of the Arundinarias.

If you ever pass through Columbus, as you cross the Colorado river, you will see it growing tightly packed under trees along the roadsides.

Kt

• willow1987
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So does it require more water and shade than other types of bamboo?

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

Here it tolerates little to no water or ground saturation for long periods of time...so water care is minimal once established.

It grows in full sun here but where it is growing wild, it seems to stay under or close to the shade of trees...so again, it is tolerant of both and does well.

Kt

• willow1987
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mine is in an area that gets sun most of the day except for late afternoon. The new shoots are now a foot tall.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!