Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carterjarrett

Large clumping bamboo for my zone?

CarterJarrett
10 years ago

I'm looking for large clumping bamboo for my zone.

Our property is next to a large hay field that's used for cattle, so most any running variety is off the list. Regardless of how precise we are in keeping it pruned and blocked off, I would absolutely hate for that to be a problem for our neighbor.

I'm wanting a fast-growing, large clumping bamboo to create some a privacy fence. Looking out at a flat open field beyond the back fence is not exactly enticing. It's nice to have some tall greenery around.

Any ideas? I'm fairly new to this. All of my searches keep pointing back at running bamboo, as much as I have tried to direct them otherwise.

For a basic start, I'm referencing this: http://www.beautifulbamboo.com/clumpingbamboo.php

Any of the "very hardy" types are what I'm looking at. But if you're familiar with Oklahoma, it's weather is pretty awful. Very cold, very hot. I need something that can handle both. And as I've picked up, some bamboo doesn't really like direct sun. This would be a problem as were set in a open field basically.

Hopefully this helps give you guys a better idea of things. I absolutely adore bamboo, something about it just really speaks to me. I love the way it looks. Hopefully, I can get started on this little project soon :) I'd like to start planting the April 12th if possible (and if that's an ok time to plant of course).

Thanks!

-Carter

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio