Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible To Uproot New Shoots ?

Posted by jolusiany (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 23:33

Hello,

I know my question does sound very newbish, but I'm trying to learn about bamboo and could really use your help.

Is it possible to dig up the new shoots when they are still about a 1 foot tall and then re-plant and have it contiue its growing into a full size adult bamboo?

Meaning, what I would like to do, is dig up the shoot of an adult shoot that is about 4 inches wide already and replant it.

Would doing this stop it from growing?

Thanks
Lisa S

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible To Uproot New Shoots ?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 1:02

It won't work. You'll kill it. Shoots are highly dependent on energy supplied through the underground rhizome system. If you sever the connection too early, it's like cutting an umbilical cord prematurely. If you want to transplant, you need to dig up an established culm and root ball during the dormant season, which is typically late-fall to early spring.

o
RE: Possible To Uproot New Shoots ?

I transplanted some clumps the middle of last month, and yesterday I saw my first new shoot coming up. The clumps I had were dug up with a backhoe, and each clump was at least a cubed foot of earth/root. The larger clumps were over a hundred pounds and had culms of about two inches in diameter.

One clump had a six inch shoot pushing up when I transplanted. That particular shoot is losing some of its green color, so I don't think it will make it. Of course, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here