Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moso starting to shoot

Posted by sandnskrub SC (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 08 at 23:53

My Moso is starting to shoot,Spring is almost here!
I bought a small plant a while back on Ebay. It put out many small colums and got very bushy ,but the height was less than
three feet .This year it looks like at least 1/2 inch or better colums . Also went to the old silverbrook moso cleanup and saw how big moso can get. Got a couple plants while i was
there,can't wait till mine gets to full size!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moso starting to shoot

My mosos started to shoot March 3rd. The grove is seven years old and the culms are now about 6" in diameter and about 30' tall. Always a joy to see every spring. It is the first in my collection to shoot every year. Next comes Ph. Vivax and on and on....

o

I dug a 2 inch wide diameter culm 2 years ago at the moso cleanup. Last year it put up a 3 inch diameter culm after being in the ground 2 years. Those suckers are hard to dig up that size but it is worth it. The andeson, sc grove is only about 15 miles from my house. I go there every year to check them out. I also got one that Ive been growing from seed since 2003. The rhizomes have reached about 1/2 inch diameter, and the there are about 15 smaller culms. I suspect this year and next year that this one will really size up. I got it planted on the other side of the creek on my 5 acre property. That way I can observe the growing difference between the two.

o

I got two that I started from seed,they are about a year old now.Both are in the same pot and the tallest is only 6 inches tall.I kept it in a green house over winter,but they are sickly looking .Don't know if they are going to make it.Should I divide them and plant them now or wait until both are at least 4 or 5 inches tall?
The soil around here is sand and I've mulched around the plants to hold moisture. One of the ones that I just got from the cleanup has all the leaves curled up and dryed out.
Even with watering daily. It only had one culm about 1\2"
The other one from the clean up is about the same size and it is doing good other than laying over.Will they put up shoots this year ? I wish I had dug up a two inch culm.
Did you cut it with several feet of culm or even with the ground.how big a circle did you dig around on the root ball?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here