Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vangrower

Best Timber Bamboo For Shaded Conditions

Vangrower
13 years ago

Hi there. I am looking to find a timber bamboo that will work in fairly shaded conditions. We are looking for a tall screen (approx 15-20' if possible). It is going down the side of the house and the house that has gone up next to us has taken away a lot of the direct sunlight (there is a little key hole that will get direct southern exposure for a couple of hours tops). We had initially thought of going with a phyllostachys atrovaginata but I am wondering if this is going to work in a shaded situation. Any suggestions/ recommendations would be much appreciated.I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Many thanks

Comments (6)

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

In general, all of the Phyllostachys like full sun. They can be grown in shade, but will not get as high as they could under better conditions. I live in the greater Seattle area, so we have very similar climates, and a Phyllostachys species will be a good choice for you as it will be evergreen throughout the year. I grow quite a few Phyllostachys, but most get pretty decent sun. Given your conditions, I can't point to any particular Phyllostachys species that will outperform the others. If you prefer bushiness for screening over having the largest diameter culms, I think you might consider Ph. nigra (Black bamboo) or Ph. aureosulcata (Yellow Groove). If you want a bamboo that will do better in shade and is fairly bushy, you could consider Pseudosasa japonica (Arrow bamboo), but it has a much different look compared to timber bamboo.

• alan_l
    13 years ago

I don't have experience with shade, but will this be very close to the houses? Nigra has more arching culms, and although Yellow Groove is upright when mature it can weep quite a bit when young.

Kudzu, does Semiarundinaria fastuosa do better than Phy. with shade?

• stevelau1911
    13 years ago

The only bamboo I have in mostly shade is the Dulcis because it has very big leaves which can still have enough photosynthesis for lower light conditions. This plant only gets direct sun in the evening causing its culms t lean toward the source of light which in this picture is towards the camera.

This species is supposed to be one of the most shade tolerant of the phyllostachys. If you get a larger species like henon or moso, you might be able to get the screen tall enough to surpass the height of the house and get full sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: phyllostachys dulcis

• plantaholic
    13 years ago

i grow most all my phyllostachys in some shade....mostly in what i would call woodland shade. i have very tall trees on my forested property and have planted most all my bamboos (around 110 varieties) in this woodland setting. i would say the best timber or taller bamboo for shade would be henon, bory, and aureo-sulcata.

i would recommend henon from my experience in central alabama. i have seen nice groves of henon in other shady situations around the SE. i have dulcis in a shady situation, but it has been slower to spread (in my garden experience).

i have semiarundinaria fastuosa in shade and part shade. the part shade grove has done best however gets much more water due to its location. the shade grove (and drier situation) has been much slower to spread.

bissett (standard and dwarf clones) has done well in shade, but is the most aggressive runner i grow. i could also recommend p. decora as a candidate.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

I'd go with the Narihira. Keep in mind that any runner will have to be effectively contained on a permanent basis not to invade adjacent areas, any kind will drop spent parts like leaves and old culm sheaths, and bamboo mites are likely to appear in this region. These have a considerable effect on the appearance of infested stands.

• watchnerd
    13 years ago

I think you should consider Fargesia robusta 'Campbell'.

http://halfsidebamboo.info/http:/halfsidebamboo.info/wordpress/2069/fargesia-robusta-hedge/#more-2069

1. Grows well in your conditions
    2. Grows well in confined spaces
    3. Easier to manage than a running species
    4. Can be trimmed into a dense hedge

It's not 20' tall, but it will get 12-15' pretty easily.